Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el_aarono

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2002
USA
hello,

I'm running os X.2 on my 15 in 800 iMac and have had two problems recently.

The First:

The Mail app disappeared. I ran the software restore discs but nothing happened and mail is still missing.

The Second:

The iTunes icon in the dock suddenly changed to a simple folder. I took it off the dock, went to the finder to the applications folder to make another alias but the application icon also looks like a simple folder. Also, in the preview when I click on the new iTunes folder says it is a classic application yet when I get info while running iTunes, I am reassured I am still running iTunes 3.0.

I can't think of anything unusual that has happened that might have caused these problems and I can't figure out how to fix them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
sounds like you've got some strange problems there. your Mail.app just disappeared? have you been messing around with stuff? maybe some system stuff?;) my only guess is that another program could have somehow hidden the mail app. there are some security apps that can do this.

and as for iTunes you say you made an alias then put it back into the dock? i apologise if i misunderstood something, but you do know that you just drag the application icon to the dock?

keep us posted on how you problems go.:)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It may finally be time to rebuild the desktop, it still gets corrupted ocassionally under OS X.

Especially if the icon problems stick after a restart, or logging out and back in.

Running Disk First Aid and fsck -y before rebuilding may be a good idea also.

el_aarono

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2002
USA
Originally posted by scem0
What were you doing right before the problems started to occur?

Nothing out of the ordinary. I wasnt messing around with the system folder or anything.

I searched OSX help for rebuilding or re-mapping the desktop but wasnt able to find anything. So how do can you do that?

Thanks,

Aaron

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
It might help to just add ".app" to iTunes... maybe that got messed up somehow. If it doesn't work, just run the OSX.2 installer from the install disk again, you should be able to 'restore' the system with the normal install over the current one (don't select the one where it moves the current system and just copies network settings). I don't know exactly if this still works with 10.2, but it worked for me when my 10.1 had issues a while ago... you might wanna give it a try!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Aaron,

It's up to you how you want to solve the problem, you've been given a few options to try.

You can try booting into OS 9 from your HD or CD and rebuild the desktop to see if that helps solve your problem.

Or even try some of the other options, but if the file structure or desktop is corrupted a reload won't help. You'll be stuck rebuilding the desktop, or even using Norton to try to fix the problem.

There is also supposed to be a rebuild option in Classic, not sure how well that will work.

Did Disk First Aid of fsck -y find any problems?

el_aarono

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2002
USA
Originally posted by Sun Baked

Did Disk First Aid of fsck -y find any problems?

I'll let you know tomorrow. I got a big O-chem test today. I'll try all this stuff tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by el_aarono

I'll let you know tomorrow. I got a big O-chem test today. I'll try all this stuff tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron
Well, good luck then :)
I got a history final tomorrow :( weird, everytime I want to study for a test, I end up posting at macrumors all day :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.