Couple of questions - 1 issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slooksterPSV, Sep 17, 2006.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Ok, I just picked up my laptop, it had only sat there for a second, and under it was a rare-earth magnet, should I be concerned - I'm not sure if it was near the HDD, but I don't think it was, so I SHOULD be fine there.

Secondly, my DVD drive is messed up, we watched a movie the other night and 15 minutes through the movie it would stop and the movie would freeze, yet the timer would keep on going for the control thingy. Anyways, so you have to press stop and play to get the movie playing again. Now here's the thing, the one movie, I thought oh well it must be the movie cause its scratched, but my friend went and bought some brand new movies and it did that. Should I wait and call Apple when it does go out, or should I contact them soon?
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    the mac's power connection port is magnetic.......
  3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    I don't want to come in all non-geeky 'n' stuff, but why don't you click on your hard disk, see if anything's missing, then tell us?
  4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Your computer should be fine. It shouldn't hurt anything too much or at all for the limited time it was near it.

And the DVD problem seems like it's more of a software issue than a hardware issue. Try downloading VLC and playing a DVD in there. If that works, then you know it's just DVD Player going quirky. If it does it in VLC, then you've got a hardware problem.

Depends on the model. If he has a PPC laptop, it's a physical connection. If it's a MB or MBP, then it's magnetic, and a very weak magnet at that.