Couple of Questions about a Powermac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Opticdraft, May 1, 2005.

1. Opticdraft macrumors member

Mar 21, 2005
    I ordered a 2.5 ghz G5 for and AWESOME deal and I am ultra excited... Just I am hoping it will last mee for 3 -5 years... Do you think it will be able to run programs like Flash, Photoshop, logic express, and motion well for this time? I am mostly a web designer while doing some picture editing. I also use FCP very lightly-- nothing major...

One other question: if I get this corsair RAM from newegg will it be just as good as crucial or datamem?

Looks like a really good deal but if its not worth it and I will get considerably better performance out of crucial I will get that. So I am basically wondering what ram to get.

Thanks so much for your time!
  2. xJus10x macrumors regular

May 10, 2004
  3. Opticdraft thread starter macrumors member

Mar 21, 2005
    Well, the dual 2.5 was for $2299 -- awesome price. Then I got a 23" screen for $1299, very happy I decided to buy the screen when they just lowed the prices.
    So yea, I am very happy with the deal I got.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    To answer your question: yes, the dual-2.5 will run those apps fine for three years at least. It won't be state of the art, obviously, but I'm sure it'll work. People use 3-5 year old Macs now (like my old 1999 "Lombard" PB) and, while they aren't lightning quick, they're certainly usable.
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Hi Opti
    Your G5 will be great for the programs you mention.

The Corsair Value Select RAM is not guaranteed by Corsair for Macs. Their part number for Mac RAM is CMSS512MB-400 (you would have to order 2 at $62 each)

For my money the Datamem RAM is the better buy at $98 for the 1 Gb kit

You will NOT get faster peformance out of one brand vs, another. As long as the RAM is compatible (which is the real reason to stick with tested, Mac compatible RAM) the Mac will run it all at the same speed regardless. The Crucial RAM is not better in that regard, it is only "better" in that some people have a comfort with the brand name (and are willing to pay extra for that comfort).

6. Opticdraft thread starter macrumors member

Mar 21, 2005
    That clears things up for me up quite a bit... Thanks for your help. I think I will go ahead with that datamem as I have heard they are very comparable to crucial.

Well then, I have no doubts this machine will be a very good buy and work fine for the future. Thanks!
  7. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    the mac will do just fine, and being a photographer so heavily user of Photoshop: Ram will make all the difference in the end ;-) I have 1,5GB and thinking of upgrading as soon as I have the money to spend, opening 700mb files are still time consuming, could be faster, I tried an app. wich tells you: do I need more memory, and when working with these files only running photoshop, nothing else, it said 3GB would increase speed with 50% & 3GB would be reccomended for those tasks (lukily I don't need to work with that size of files all the time, but it would help me to open a lot of smaller files, let's say one complete shoot, at once...

I think I could outrun your G5 wit mine depending on the ram you will have installed, photoshop is to my account 80% ram quantity & harddrive speed 20% cpu ;-)