Couple of questions from a 2 day old MAC newbie

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by kbonnel, Apr 11, 2004.

1. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Ok, so I finally got m PBG4, and I love it. I do, however, have some questions on how to get OSX to do what I want it to do... The main "issue" I am having is to have my SMB shares from my Linux box auto remount when I reboot. I have 3 shares, all requiring a userid and password (same id and password). I have no issues going into finder and going through the network to add them everytime I bootup, but can I have OSX do this automatically? I was going to just add the shares to the fstab, but I guess it does not work like that in OSX.

Oh yea, on the PB side, is it normal for them to get hot, and I mean really hot. Not burn your fingers, but hot enough to make you wonder? I notice around the hindlge area on top and on the bottom....

Kimo

2. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Yep. Drag your shares into your Startup Items tab. You can even add the pw to the keychain if you want. It will ask you the first time you try to auto mount them. The Startup Items tab can be found in System Preferences/Accounts preference pane.

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

or you can write an apple script and put it in startup itmes..it wd be under users in preferences..something like

tell application "Finder"
    mount volume "smb://WORKGROUP;username:password@machine_name/directory"
    end tell

..its for mounting windows..

cheers

4. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Sorry, not really helpful, but its Mac, not MAC. Remember that, or else people might flame you... It wouldn't be the first time that happened!

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Probably depends on the model. If you've got the 12" then yes, a lot of people report it's rather hot. My Al PB 15" gets warm at best, and only on the back-center part of the bottom.

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

And it's "Anal", not ANAL. :)

7. kbonnel thread starter macrumors 6502

Man, talk about a learning curve when it comes to what is OK (Ok) and what isn't :D

I do have the shares in my startup items tab, but it doesn't seem to mount them :( I guess it is time to create some scripts.

As for the PB type, it is the 15" SuperDrive. I would say it gets really, really hot. Kinda like a hot steering wheel in the summer. Not hot enough to burn you, but enough to make you buy a window screen.

Kimo

8. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Mine does too, most of the time it's too warm to use with shorts or while... sitting down with it on the bare legs ;) . The Aluminum just moves the heat away from the innards. These are not the droids you're looking for.