Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by baummer, Apr 13, 2005.

1. baummer macrumors 6502a

I just got my Mac Mini last week and am enjoying myself immensely. I'm already more comfortable using OS X than I ever was with Windows and doing my internet consulting work I feel more professional. But I do have a couple of issues that I'm hoping there are solutions for.

1. Menu Bar: Is there a way to display then date ON the menu bar?

2. Mail: It seems that the mail that is downloaded stays on the server, even though I have it marked to remove right away. Is this a bug with Mail?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

1. Not normally, but there's third party apps to do that. One example is this:

http://www.objectpark.net/mcc.html

2. It just doesn't work that way. The server decides whether to delete messages or not, not Mail. I assume you're using POP3. You'll have to tell the server to delete the mail once it's downloaded, or to leave it on the server (done through the webmail interface). IMAP is the protocol that actually synchronizes the mail on your Mail application and the server.

3. baummer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it is POP3. And I've been using Outlook on WinXP without a problem. I changed the settings in Mail to have it remove from the server upon download, but it doesn't remove it. That's why I thought it was a bug. It does remove it if I click the Remove Now button, but I don't want to have to do that everytime.

4. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Get Mac OS X Tiger. It is the new Mac operating system. It is available here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/ Mail will be updated from version 1.0 to version 2.0. This is a major upgrade. A much bigger upgrade than going from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Tiger has over 200 new innovative features. Mail is a very buggy application now, but I think almost all of the Mail bugs will be ironed out with Tiger. Tiger is the world's best OS.