Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
1)new to MAC. . .how do i just simply burn a dvd. . i have the movie and I just want to burn it. . on windows i used sonic real simple. . .now im seeing all soughts of confusing directions for mac is rthere a simple way to just burn this to a blank DVD?

2) how do i open a zip file. . it opens it rto an exe. file then when i try to open that it says MAC doesnt know what to open it with. . .

couple of these little things that were real simple on windows seems really complicated on MAC. . .not sure if im just being a moron or if it is more difficult. . lol

thanks for the help!

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
1)new to MAC. . .how do i just simply burn a dvd. . i have the movie and I just want to burn it. . on windows i used sonic real simple. . .now im seeing all soughts of confusing directions for mac is rthere a simple way to just burn this to a blank DVD?

2) how do i open a zip file. . it opens it rto an exe. file then when i try to open that it says MAC doesnt know what to open it with. . .

couple of these little things that were real simple on windows seems really complicated on MAC. . .not sure if im just being a moron or if it is more difficult. . lol

thanks for the help!

.EXE files are windows executable files... won't work on mac. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

as for DVD burning, simply go to finder, right click and select "new burn folder". drag your file into there, go into the folder, and click burn.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Do you want to burn a video DVD (as in home movies) or a data DVD?

Zipped files will "unarchive" automatically when double clicked - but like psycoswimmer said, .exe files are created for Windows and cannot be opened on a Mac.

PS - It's "Mac" not "MAC" - MAC stands for Media Access Control and is related to networking. :)

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
i just have 2 half hour comedy shows im trying to burn to a disk . ..

ill read those. . .I guess this imac doesnt come with a good burning program. . .on my windows. . .it came with sonice. . .real simple program and could break into chapters put titles, pics, music in DVD menu guide. .

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
it burned for like 10 minutes. . and doesnt play in my DVD player. . i think Mac may justr be a foriegn language rto me i may be returning and going back to a PC. . .i feel like nothing is easy. . .

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
If you want a third party burning program, like you had on your PC, there are many options, ranging from pay versions to free ones. Probably the best burning program available for the Mac is Roxio's Toast, however, it does cost a pretty penny. Another pay burn program is Disco.
As free burning programs go, you have Burn, which i use personally, and am very pleased with, SimplyBurns, or even LiquidCD.
The options are bountiful. Its up to you now to decide which one you want to use.

If you want to edit your DVD yourself, the Mac comes with a program capable of doing that too. Just import your videos into iDVD, and you will be able to do all the editing on it you wish, just like you did on Windows.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
simnply burns doesnt have a DVD option . . .only music, data or image

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
As others have said, just use iDVD. Then drag the content into the iDVD. What Mac do you have? Are you sure it has a SuperDrive? Trust me, it gets easier. When I switched things were hard but it gets 100x easier after you use it for a while.

Best of luck

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
it burned for like 10 minutes. . and doesnt play in my DVD player. . i think Mac may justr be a foriegn language rto me i may be returning and going back to a PC. . .i feel like nothing is easy. . .
You burned it as a data DVD (meaning you could transfer the video files to another computer), but it wasn't burned as a DVD movie.

To do this, you'll need to use one of the programs Blubbert mentioned (just like you needed another program for your PC).

Good Luck :)

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Use iDVD.

Also, it's Mac, not MAC. "Mac" is just short for "Macintosh" - it is not an acronym for anything.

MAC actually is an acronym for something, Media Access Control.

Also, don't forget to quit things! Number one PC people flubb up! Anything that has a black triangle under it in your dock is still running, even if you closed all of it's windows.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
PS - It's "Mac" not "MAC" - MAC stands for Media Access Control and is related to networking. :)

Use iDVD.

Also, it's Mac, not MAC. "Mac" is just short for "Macintosh" - it is not an acronym for anything.

MAC actually is an acronym for something, Media Access Control.

Also, don't forget to quit things! Number one PC people flubb up! Anything that has a black triangle under it in your dock is still running, even if you closed all of it's windows.

Already clarified by EricNau.;)

And yes, the two hardest things about switching to Mac are (well in my opinion) the concept of quitting / closing applications and DMGs.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
on PC i didnt need 2 programs to burn I would literally drag the movie opr movies i wanted into program. . click burn and it would go. . .everything with mac is so complicated!!!!!and anything that is good doesnt come with mac u have to buy it. . .my PC came equipped ready to go fool proof. . .i have a week left in my time i am allowed to return this. . .I think I may have been drawn in by the looks of this imac and mayb e i shoukld just srtick with the easier cheaper PC. . .

im ready top throw this thing across the room. . .lol

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
on PC i didnt need 2 programs to burn I would literally drag the movie opr movies i wanted into program. . click burn and it would go. . .everything with mac is so complicated!!!!!and anything that is good doesnt come with mac u have to buy it. . .my PC came equipped ready to go fool proof. . .i have a week left in my time i am allowed to return this. . .I think I may have been drawn in by the looks of this imac and mayb e i shoukld just srtick with the easier cheaper PC. . .

Are you joking? You can do just about everything with iLife. & for the 500th time, USE iDVD!

1. Open iDVD
2. Create a new project
3. Pick a quick template and drag your content to the content fields
4. Hit BURN!
5. Done.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006

I gave you several options that are completely free, and are capable of burning DVD's either from VIDEO_TS folder, or some other image file. I cant help if you refuse to read the posts.

And your DVD burning program on your PC was software that you paid for, as Windows does not come with a free burner of the capabilites you mention, the program you had you probably paid when you bought the computer itself.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
its only accepting one of my movies and then when i hit burn it saysZ:
there were errors during project validation. . ect. . .

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
I gave you several options that are completely free, and are capable of burning DVD's either from VIDEO_TS folder, or some other image file. I cant help if you refuse to read the posts.

And your DVD burning program on your PC was software that you paid for, as Windows does not come with a free burner of the capabilites you mention, the program you had you probably paid when you bought the computer itself.

i tried all 3 of ur options none worked. . none of them let me burn movies!!!!there is no option under image as u said to burn movies. . .and it wont accept when i drag .and no the sonice was free with comp not paid for. .

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
i tried all 3 of ur options none worked. . none of them let me burn movies!!!!there is no option under image as u said to burn movies. . .and it wont accept when i drag .and no the sonice was free with comp not paid for. .

It was paid for by the company. (Dell?) Go out and buy a copy of Windows, it won't come with the software you mentioned.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
It was paid for by the company. (Dell?) Go out and buy a copy of Windows, it won't come with the software you mentioned.

it wasnt as dell and i dont care if company pays for it when u buy a new PC its all included. .

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
Its not really hard. Ill explain to you how to burn a DVD using Burn.
1. Open Burn and go into the Video Heading
2. Next to the title there is a box that says VCD.
3. Click on it and swich to DVD.
4. Add the videos you wish to burn.
5. It will automatically ask you if you want to encode it to mpg for DVD burning.
6. Once the program is done converting, put in the DVD, and click burn.

P.S. You still paid for your burning program on your PC, it was all included in the end price. And do not say that the Mac doesnt come with the software neccesary to burn a DVD, as it comes preinstalled with iDVD, which is a great DVD authoring application.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Its not really hard. Ill explain to you how to burn a DVD using Burn.
1. Open Burn and go into the Video Heading
2. Next to the title there is a box that says VCD.
3. Click on it and swich to DVD.
4. Add the videos you wish to burn.
5. It will automatically ask you if you want to encode it to mpg for DVD burning.
6. Once the program is done converting, put in the DVD, and click burn.

P.S. You still paid for your burning program on your PC, it was all included in the end price. And do not say that the Mac doesnt come with the software neccesary to burn a DVD, as it comes preinstalled with iDVD, which is a great DVD authoring application.

I do appreciate all ur help. . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.