Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hookflash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Still thinking about getting an iMac, but I have a couple questions first:

1) What's the build quality like? Does it feel very solid and sturdy?

2) If I decide to upgrade the RAM later, will any old 667mhz DDR2 be ok, or does it have to have specific "timings" and whatnot?

Thanks.

Hookflash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
JDN said:
I have only played with the iMac in an apple store, but it was very well built. I picked it up and everything.

As for the RAM, just got to http://www.crucial.com and follow the 'find me the right RAM' tool. Cant go wrong, and its guarenteed if it doesnt work.

Thanks for the response! Judging by the prices that came up in the "Find me..." tool, it seems that Apple's upgrade costs aren't as bad as I'd thought. Maybe I'll just get 2gb right off the bat...

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
iMac's quality is superior, as is in all Apple products.

:) You wont regret getting one.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The iMac is very solid and sturdy, just try picking one up and you'll know what I'm talking about. The stand, even though it looks kind of flimsy, does it's job admirably. It takes a lot of effort to get it to tip from side to side, and it's not easy to rock it back and forth on a level surface.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
I just got a 20" C2D iMac last week and I have to say I am super impressed with it. I had a 12" Powerbook before, and although I think I might miss being able to take it with me sometimes, the iMac is better in every way. The screen is super bright. Front Row is actually very useful as I have the iMac hooked up in my bedroom to a 30" VGA Gateway Destination monitor. The thing is whisper quiet compared to my Powerbook and feels very solid. Also, compared to a G4 Mac it is insanely fast. I couldn't believe how fast it booted up the first time and ripping songs into iTunes is MUCH faster.

Also, I have been trying to stick to universal apps and I like iWork very much after useing it for a while. Just the time you save starting the program vs. Word will be enough to figure out its interface. Unless you are in need of the advance features of Word or need Excel, I would recommend iWork. It is fine, especially if you customize its toolbar. It saves to .Doc or .PDF so you can transfer files with everyone with very few problems.

My only complaint so far is that the backlighting on the display seems to be brighter in the lower right-hand corner than the rest of the machine, but it is barely noticeable and depends on the viewing angle. I am going to try to calibrate the LCD and see if it helps. I wish they would make an ergonomic mighty mouse shaped like many of those Logitech ones but I can live with it and it is nice having a right click.

If you live in an apartment or an area prone to burglaries, I would recommend getting "Lojack for Laptops" or some such anti-theft solution. (It works for desktops too). My girlfriend’s apartment was broken into and I wish I would have had that for her 17" Powerbook which was stolen. Unfortunately, if you are robbed, your beloved Mac will probably be the first thing they take.

As far as Ram goes, I would get it from New Egg. Use the tool on Crucial.com to see what kind you need and then buy from New Egg. There are several brands that will work and there are reviews from Mac users on there that can verify if it will work with your Mac. I think G-Skill, Gigaram, or Patriot have been popular of late but others may work too. Just make sure the Ram you get has a warranty.

Hookflash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
ddrueckhammer: Thanks for the info! That 20 inch iMac is started to look very appealing right now... Now if only I could decide between that and a Dell m1710 laptop.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Hookflash said:
ddrueckhammer: Thanks for the info! That 20 inch iMac is started to look very appealing right now... Now if only I could decide between that and a Dell m1710 laptop.

Sorry, I have no experience with Dell laptops. I had a Dell Demension desktop a few years back and almost pulled out my hair when I had to deal with customer service to get the hard drive replaced.

My Powerbook had 2 hard drives fail and it was back in order within 3 days each time. I wanted to get a Macbook but after reading about the Rev A hardware/overheating issues I decided an iMac or a PC lappy would be a better bet. I was considering the HP dv2000t but Windows feels clunky to me after using OS X for a couple of years. Also, I hate having to install anti-spyware, virus, defrag etc. software and maintain it. With Macs all I do is download Onyx or Cocktail and run those once a month (and that really isn't even necessary). No muss, no fuss, no reg-rot. The main problem with laptops is that the thermal conditions are so extreme and they take more abuse moving around, so they just don't last as long and aren't as reliable IMO.

If you must have the portability get a PC laptop unless you can wait to see if the Rev B Apple laptops are better. Otherwise, the iMac is the most elegant, and easy to use computer ever and will be even cooler once the Video streaming box is released in January.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.