Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
I am planning on switching to an iBook soon, hopefully within the next month, and I have 2 questions. I know this might sound stupid, but is there an equivalant (sp?)in Mac OS X to "NTLDR" in Windows XP? Some how I always lose this file and must reinstall XP. My last question is right now I have a wireless keyboard that does not have Mac Commands. Will I be able to use the "control" and "alt" key as what it is in Mac OS X?

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
zflauaus said:
I am planning on switching to an iBook soon, hopefully within the next month, and I have 2 questions. I know this might sound stupid, but is there an equivalant (sp?)in Mac OS X to "NTLDR" in Windows XP? Some how I always lose this file and must reinstall XP. My last question is right now I have a wireless keyboard that does not have Mac Commands. Will I be able to use the "control" and "alt" key as what it is in Mac OS X?

You should need to get a Mac keyboard. You either get the 29 dollar USB keyboard or the Wireless for 60 bucks. I'm not positive, but I believe you need an Apple key. The alt key might translate straight across, but I would jsut get a keyboard. The Apple key is the basis for most keyboard shortcuts.

As for NTLDR, I haven't used XP enough to lose it, but I doubt there is such a thing for Mac. I've never heard anyone have the equivalent problem.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I have no idea what "NTLDR" is but it's pretty hard to delete System files in OS X. So it's close to idiot proof. If that's what NTLDR is.

As for the keyboard, I can't see any problems and I know a lot of people who don't use Apple keyboards with their Macs.

Enjoy the switch and welcome. :)

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
I only got the ntldr msg twice, once there was a floppy in the drive...the second time who knows what.

Either way..it can happen for several reasons, corrupt files, bad drive, etc...and no, os x doesnt have a ntldr per say, but it can get corrupt files, and hardware and hardware can die, but there is usually someway to repair it in the rare case something happens (and the great thing about apple is they support both the hardware AND the software, so real help is just a phone call away, or a visit to the local apple store).

oh, and as long as your keyboard uses USB (you can always get an adapter), it will work...the windows key becomes the Apple key.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Thanks for the info guys! Can't wait to get enough money for my iBook! I only have $360 to go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.