Couric Announces She's Leaving 'Today,' NBC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Apr 5, 2006.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Star To Anchor CBS Evening News

NEW YORK -- "Today" show host Katie Couric announced Wednesday that she is leaving the show and joining CBS.

The TV star announced her departure Wednesday morning on what was her 15th anniversary as co-host of the NBC morning program.

In a funny, yet teary, exchange with partner Matt Lauer, Couric also confirmed she's going to be taking over as sole anchor of the CBS Evening News. She'll also have a spot on "60 Minutes."

"I will miss Matt," Couric said. "Once in a while we get on each other's nerves -- well, he gets on my nerves. But I could not have asked for a more talented partner and friend."

Couric's contract with NBC expires at the end of May.
    Couric, 49, was inducted into the Television Hall of Fame two years ago. She leaves "Today" as the longest-serving anchor in the show's history.
    The "Today" show has been the number one morning show for an unprecedented 10 years.

NBC has not announced Couric's replacement.

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I vote for Campbell Brown. :D

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Is she leaving Today today?
    Or is she leaving Today tomorrow?
    Cause if she's leaving tomorrow, she won't be leaving today.
    But then you should never leave 'til tomorrow what you can leave Today.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wait...which one is she again?...CanadaRam confused me.

Bless

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Trade papers say it's "The View's" Meredith Viera, and it's already a done deal.

6. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

You know... I don't love her. I don't dislike her, but she's NO Katie Couric.

7. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

She is not Evening News material. And no I am not sexiest. Keep it to the intellectuals. She is just a dumb blonde.

8. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

You mean you're not the sexiest? I find that hard to believe. :p

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Uh... you lost me....

10. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

She's not a dumb blond. Just because someone reports serious news doesn't mean they have to appear bookish and homely. Katie Couric is an intelligent and well-spoken woman who will do well on the evening news.

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Meredith seems to cold to be on in the morning, I mean 7 am morning not "The View" 11 am morning, Katie has enough bubbles to wake me up but not drive me nuts. Will she be good in the evening, Yes but I don't know if CBS is a good fit. Unless they are trying to get a younger crowd at CBS. I'd like Natalie Morales to take the "Today" spot. I wonder if Brian Williams will slip something into Katie's drink during her goodbye party.:p

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Edward R. Murrow would be proud as a peacock with this bold, progressive step by CBS. Good night, and good luck, Katie.

13. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Everyone in the high profile world of the media will have their detractors, but if Katie is what you say she is, my only wish would be for more people to be as dumb. She is a proven commodity, outstanding interviewer and will do well in her new assignments later this year.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thank goodness, no. I really like Meredith Viera. She's smart, funny, and sensible without appearing too emotional.

Connie Chung had some nice things to say. I'm sure she's a bit jealous but it's around 15 years later that she was a news anchor.

If 60 minutes has Katie Couric, the average age may be under 60. They might also do some new stories. The ways it's been, they might as well call it the last 60 minutes.

15. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Breathe easy ... at least it wasn't the insufferable Star Jones.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Katie was the girl on the show. Matt was the guy.

PS: You're welcome. ;)

They don't have a lense wide enough, or software that automatically filters out "annoying." [/rude]

17. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Well, it's official: Meredith Vieira to Replace Katie Couric.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/06/tv.couric.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- A day after Katie Couric announced she was leaving for CBS, NBC has chosen Meredith Vieira as Matt Lauer's new partner on the "Today" show.

NBC chose Vieira over several internal candidates, including weekend "Today" anchor Campbell Brown, newswoman Natalie Morales and "Today" newsreader Ann Curry. Brown and Morales had subbed for Couric on "Today" while she was on vacation at the end of last month.

"Meredith's vast experience as an award-winning journalist, as well as talk show host, make her the ideal candidate for this job," said Jeff Zucker, CEO of the NBC Universal Television Group.

Vieira herself announced the news -- before NBC's official announcement -- on one of her current shows, "The View," earning a standing ovation in the process. Vieira also hosts the syndicated game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

She received compliments from her "View" co-hosts, including a hug from Barbara Walters, who spent 13 years on "Today" in the 1960s and '70s.

Couric announced Wednesday, her 15th anniversary on "Today," that she was leaving next month to join CBS news. She'll become anchor and managing editor of the "CBS Evening News" in September.

If Couric is to make her dawn-to-dusk move a success, she'll need more people like Amy Lindgren.

"I really love her," said Lindgren, a 27-year-old mother of two from Denmark, Maine. "I watch ABC now, but I'd rather watch Katie than the person doing the evening news (at ABC) now. She's outgoing, she's energetic and she seems to relate to the people nicely."

Lindgren is among the 29 percent of people responding to an Associated Press-TV Guide poll this week who said they preferred Couric in the evening. Forty-nine percent of the people said they favored Couric in the morning.

Despite the public's initial wariness, the poll suggests Couric has a chance to catch on at night, or at least lift the CBS broadcast from third place behind NBC's "Nightly News" and ABC's "World News Tonight."

About half of the respondents said they'd be willing to give Couric a try in the evening. One is Dian Miller of Shepherdsville, Kentucky, who is a loyal CBS viewer.

"I like hearing Bob Schieffer," she said. "I liked Dan Rather, but I think a change is in order. I think it will be a lot better for other women coming up."

During a time of transition in television news, Couric at least has a chance of making an impression. Brian Williams, who with only a year in the job at NBC's "Nightly News" is the longest-tenured evening news anchor, was judged most popular in a list of nine TV news personalities that also included Schieffer and Elizabeth Vargas of "World News Tonight."

That's the good news for Williams. The bad news is he was named by only 6 percent of the respondents. More than two-thirds didn't list a favorite.

Paul Wendel, a 30-year-old accountant from Newtown, Pennsylvania, said he associates the evening news with a somber, older person.

"It doesn't mean she couldn't do a good job," he said, "but it isn't a person I would associate with the evening news."

Only veteran broadcaster Diane Sawyer of ABC's "Good Morning America" received higher marks than Couric, with more than seven in 10 viewing her favorably. Unfortunately for Couric, she also had 12 percent of the people who flat-out didn't like her, higher than for any of the news personalities tested.

"I don't like her phony perkiness," said Desiree Dillon, a writer from Benicia, California. "I find her to be rather patronizing. Some of her guests she just talks down to, and she wears her opinions on her sleeve."

The AP-TV Guide poll of 615 adults was conducted by Ipsos on Monday and Tuesday. It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Six in 10 women said they would watch Couric in the evenings, compared with 38 percent of men.

"She kind of bugs me," said Ethelene Fortner of Tulsa, Oklahoma. "I watched Bob Schieffer. He wasn't cocky and a know-it-all like most of them are."

Couric turned down an offer of about $20 million a year to stay at NBC in order to take CBS' five-year deal at near her current salary of about $15 million, according to people close to negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because networks do not speak publicly about salaries. She's also agreed to do "60 Minutes" stories and prime-time specials for CBS.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

OK Couric was making $15,000,000 a year on NBC. I'd love to know what CBS is paying her.

19. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

$15,000,001??

I've always wondered what it would be like to get a bi-weekly paycheck that is over $500K....

20. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Word is $15,000,000 is the salary at CBS. I guess she's not after the money then, especially since she's taking on more responsibilities (Anchor, Managing Editor, 60 Minutes Correspondent) for the same amount.

Of course, she'll probably have to work harder. Word was that she didn't show up at NBC studios until 30 minutes before "Today" went on the air, while Matt Lauer arrives by 4am.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd be happy with a tenth of that.

22. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Yeah, but that's like only $270k after taxes. I mean who could live on that. ;) :D

23. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Wow! I didn't realize Matt Lauer needed so much make-up and Katie Couric needed so little....

24. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Seriously.... that's practically pennies!

25. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Well we all have different opinions. I just can't stand her at all. Everytime I have seen her she has always acted like she is this ditzy blonde. She reminds me of one of those US! magazine reporters or something. This is just my personal bias against her and the Today show.