Court Defines What Is a Chicken

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Oct 28, 2002.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has laid down the law: a chicken is a chicken no matter how it is raised.

The trial court rejected an organic farmer's claim that he did not need a production license from the Canadian province's chicken marketing board because, he said, it had authority only to regulate conventional, non-organic chicken farms.

Justice Lynn Smith ruled on Thursday there was nothing in the law that established the British Columbia Chicken Marketing Board that would "exclude organically raised chicken from the meaning of the word 'chicken'."

The farmer had objected to paying fees to the board. The board argued that would be unfair to other farmers, including at least one who also raised his chickens organically but abided by the board's production quotas.

On a side note, I've been told before that KFC does not use "actual" chickens anymore for it's fried chicken, but instead uses a genetically created chicken, someone even said that the chickens are created with no heads. Not completely sure about that, but I'm sure that they defintely enhance their chickens.

2. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Ok, after some quick research the KFC is indeed a hoax and they don't even grow their own chickens, I'm still set that they are genetically enhanced to some point though, they just are too big!:eek:

3. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Know your terms

McDonald's chickens are not "genetically enhanced". They've been selectively bred and are possibly fed steroids to increase their muscle mass (just like bodybuilders), but there's no genetic enhancement going on unless you count the selective breeding, which is more or less a forced evolution and does in fact increase the percentage of chickens that have genes for growing large breasts, etc. No sci-fi here. Just picky breedin'....

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe they should say veal isn't beef either, due to the way it is raised. Maybe this guy isn't even human, especially if he was raised by chickens. ;)

Just plain silly, anything to get out of paying fees/fines/taxes.

Attached Files:

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

6. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I don't care how they get the chicken.. it's too damn good not to eat.

Chickens are kinda gross anyway...

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Re: Know your terms

My mom is an expert in this matter (she is an ultra-organic-health-freak) and I know for a fact that stock animals, such as cows, chickens, and pigs) are fed horrible amounts of steroids and hormones to increase the amount of meat they have/their size, and how much milk they produce. My mom disagrees with this, but I really don't care (I don't hold the same principles as my mother), if it tastes good, I will eat it. I can tell you now, as soon as I get to college, I will have a diet of pizza, Ramen noodles, and bread. :D

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

chickens also eat other chickens' poop cause they are stuck in such small cages during transport (and during regular "living") and don't get fed enough and/or get cold and wet from the air/rain that they kinda go nuts and don't know better

and yeah, scem0, most animals are factory farmed, pumped full of hormones and such..

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yes, but the courts still haven't ruled on the most important question:

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

Not that it matters, they're both good. :p

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since a chicken is a domesticated bird, you'd almost have to say the egg of the wild fowl was definitely around before the chicken.

Breeding animals to genetically manipulate a species into domesticated bliss, has been practiced for thousands of years also.

Now the problem becomes, at what point in the domestication process did the bird actually become a chicken.

11. diorio macrumors 6502a

As long as it tastes like chicken, I don't care how they made it!

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

We don't need courts to decide how we are to live our lives!:)

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

dude...thats a broad statement. everything tastes like chicken.

14. Chisholm macrumors regular

Chisholm

yea, don't you watch Fear Factor?

I would rather know that they can't substitute something just 'cuz it "tastes like chicken."

:p

15. diorio macrumors 6502a

Yes, I know everything tastes like chicken, that is why I basically don't care how anything is made as long as it takes like chicken. If it fell on the floor, I will put it back in the fridge for a while until I forget that it fell on the floor, and then I eat it. This is because it tastes like chicken. Now if it tasted like poop, this would be a different story all together.;)

16. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Hmmm...how do we know if everything just tastes like frog legs.....oh and a gardenburger definitely does not taste like chicken, and the fake soy chicken patties dont either, only difference is the gardenburgers taste good.

17. diorio macrumors 6502a

If you close your eyes and plug your nose, everything tastes like chicken.;)

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you have to do that in order to eat chicken, it's probably time to fix the refrigerator.

19. diorio macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, let me check. Yep, you're right the **** fridge isn't cold anymore. No wonder the chicken was starting to taste like poop if you didn't plug your nose.:D

20. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Re: Re: Know your terms

It's good to have goals!