Court: He had a right to curse

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by aquajet, Feb 3, 2007.

1. aquajet macrumors 68020

Link

What's interesting is how the court labeled Leonard's speech "mild profanity". I wonder how this would have panned out had he said "...f***ing lawsuit".

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

A few years ago, I read about a guy who was cited for swearing (it was either *** or s***) on a street corner, with a woman and a small child standing next to him. I don't know what the outcome was. Being arrested for "goddamn" is pretty extreme.

And I bet someone is going to try and link this to Bush and fear and the "war on terror", but this could have happened even without all that.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Damn" is not really a curse word. You can even hear people say that on TV nowadays. "Goddamn" only seems like a curse word if you follow certain religions.

Yeah, seriously...

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's not considered as bad now, but I'd say that it happened quite frequently in the 1950s.

It's still a matter of having a good vocabulary and some restraint. People can express themselves without resorting to profanity, even the ignorant.

It's sad when it's publicly accepted that people are going to talk that way. I'm not saying that people don't have a right to be angry but they need to find better ways to say what they feel.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would rather he swear then to get a gun a shoot up the place.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The gun might promote better government. :D

8. enda1 macrumors member

cops actually arrest people for saying damn in the states? Thats just goddamn ****ed up that is!

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yep. Welcome to democracy.

Damn is not a curse word in my eyes, but other people may think it is. You've gotta be careful who you curse too.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Man, if they arrested people here for something like saying "goddamned" then our entire population would be in the klink.

Mind you we all swear like sailors down here - it's the heat. And the beer. But mostly the heat.

11. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I don't understand the whole "damn" type of cursing situation for censorship. According to television, damn is fine to say, but "God damn" bleeps out the "God" part? WTF? Why is God offensive but damn not?

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's considered blasphemy by a lot of Christians.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

And being that the US started as a Christian nation might have something to do with it. Personally I don't understand why people still feel the need to say it when they don't believe in God (those that don't believe). Why use His name as a curse then?

I'm of the thought that usually resorting to cursing just means that one doesn't have enough discipline to think of a better way to say the same thing. I say usually because I can see when there are times that using a curse word could clarify your meaning and give it slightly more punch (the original intention of the words). Now a days so many people use them they have really lost their punch and meaning.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

We're in agreement on the last part, if you saw my earlier post.

"God" isn't a name as much as it is a rank or designation. Supposedly, Jehovah was the name of that particular god.

Note that I said "a lot of Christians" because not all Christians care or worry about it. I'm also not sure why people, Christian or otherwise, would say it but I know that the same thing happens in Hungarian because I'd heard that quite a bit growing up.