Court OKs Death for Analog TVs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by medea, Oct 28, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

"A federal appeals court on Tuesday upheld a government rule requiring all but the smallest new televisions to have tuners that can receive digital TV signals by July 2007. The makers of TVs, VCRs and DVD players tried to block the Federal Communications Commission rule, saying it would make sets more expensive and is unnecessary because cable and satellite viewers don't need the tuners. "
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/10/28/digital.tv.ap/index.html

But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit sided with the FCC, which said the requirement was needed because the industry was not moving quickly enough to make tuners available.

2. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Why must this happen? There is nothing wrong with analog televisions. Soon we will all be using digital televisions that require yearly maintenance due to burned-in images.:mad:

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Finally, they've been trying to get HDTV for 10 years. Burned in images DO NOT HAPPEN on HDTVs they have similar technology as new computer monitors (CRT and LCD) that make it nessissarry to have a completely stationarry image for more than 3 year to burn in the image.

HDTV...HDTV...HDTV...

Then we will be forced to upgrade our TVs every 10 years. That IS THE ONLY DRAWBACK.

TEG

4. iGav macrumors G3

does anyone actually keep their TV for more than 10 years though?? Actually... do they last that long??? :p

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It really is nice to see the FCC pushing the technology - to think gov't doing something like this....;)

But hopefully by the time that this comes into full effect in 5 years or so, the prices on those 60" Plasma screens will be under 2k ;)

D

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I dunno, I guess some kind of tuner is a good thing, but I don't see why we don't just buy a monitor and then hook up the tuner of our choice, whether satelite, digital cable, analog tuner, or some other form. I still can't afford a 1080i TV though...

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

iGAV, the United States is not the only country in the world (damn the egocentrims in the north american culture sucks).

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is just more big government. When you can't get your way, find a favorable court to force your viewpoint on the public. Availability of TV shows need to dramatically increase and the price need a dramatic decrease.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Again govt coming at us, does govt work for the people? or is govt god? they would like to be. as a owner of a new flat screen tv i think this is just govt forcing their way onto us. hook a dvd player or satellite and the picture is crystal clear. sure hdtv will be nice but i dont need it nor want it nor will pay for it. Ask yourself this my fellow Americans are we free or are we slave onto this entity(big brother) that is trying to controle every aspect of our lives?

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    ummm...if you look at his location- he is in london. not the us.

also- his statement had nothing to do with any certain part of the world.

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    I think the government did this FOR us.

I want HDTV. It is not my fault that companies are going extremely slow implementing this technology. They just love the HUGE margins they are making on the HDTV sets they are selling now.

12. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Bigger things at work here

I have read the reports of incompatibility, and burn in, and upgrades, etc.

I would like to say that in my house, I have four sets, two of which are over 10 years old, and one over 20. They all look pretty good.

I have not had an issue with the newer technologies, as most sets made have some form of input connection, be it Video Inputs, or just an antenna connection. I am running for pay digital TV called DirectTV, but there is in many areas free digital feeds of the standard over the air tranmissions. Where the pain for the consumer will be is paying for those HDTV tuners. Right now, most are $500 or more, and they really should be no more than a cheap DVD player or VCR, which is around $50.

The comment of the burn is is really false, since there are options in the tuners to take 16X9 material and zoom in to make it full screen, and most material today is still 4X3. Until we throw out all old episodes of Hogan's Heros, and AbFab, I doubt a lot of this will change.

The real reasoning here that the government wants HDTV to take off is money. You see, right now, over the air analogue transmissions take 6 MHz of air space for tranmission, while the exact same program in HDTV ( 480 p/i ) takes only 1 MHz. This gives the television channels the opportunity to have upto 6 subchannels with other programming ( read : six times the commercials, and perhaps six times the revenues ), or gives them the opportunity to sub-lease off the bandwidth for other uses.

Furthermore since there is much bandwidth needed for newer technologies, the government can assign a fewer number of channels to the stations out there, and also sell of the airwaves to compaies for cell phones, two way radio, etc. Much of this has happened. How many people out there still have a TV with 83 channels?

So you see, the consumer really isn't part of this equation. The government and the broadcast industry trust that people will buy cheap set-top boxes for existing sets, and except being forced into paying more for new sets with this feature, in hopes of increasing profits by the multitudes. They just need to twist a few arms to do it.

Feel free to correct any mis-statements here, or complain if this idea really sucks!! ( But I get most of my info from a trade mag called Broadcast Engineering, so I think I am somewhat on the mark. )

Max.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it is entirely necessary for them to enforce new standards and technologies, otherwise we'd still be watching black and white because different TVs would need different color signals. If we're to push towards a common goal, eg seamless media integration into our lives, we need someone pushing along... don't forget, guys, there would be no V-chip if it weren't requirements and regulations... which a lot of people appreciate... i don't like the v-chip, but then...

:)
    pnw

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The answer doesn't really fit in this thread. Current and future governmemt control is a scary thing. We should not be forced to purchase according to the law. I like my basic cable at $8.17/month. We will become more enslaved if we don't stand up and soon.

15. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Off Base

This may be really off topic and out of context, but the government has been forcing the consumer to purchase according to the law for a long time now.

The prescription drug industry is probably the biggest, most stringently defined market, that affects everyone individually. In fact, I doubt there is little we can purchase without some legal interference.

I would love to see the government become less involved with our lives, but there is no viable party out there that has the will or interest to bring that about.

Max.

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually, I have a TV that is 15 years old, still use it every day. A TV/VCR combo that is 10 years old, use it every day. And a TV that is "only God know how old" some thing like 10-15 years old.

And yes the all act the same way they did when they were new.

tEG