Court orders Psystar to pay Apple $5,000 for baseless discov...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 26, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Myrtle Beach, Horry County (do not pronounce the "
    Oh, please.. Psystar, FOAD already.

But what kind of questions was Schiller legally expected to be able to answer? It sounds like questions such as "how much money have you lost because of Psystar" and "What are your exact profit margins" are verboten, at least when asked of Schiller. So what information did they really expect?

$5000 is the slap on the cheek, preparatory to the blade across the throat which is to come.

3. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I hope that this isn't over and that they're forced to pay far more... in not just money.

4. macrumors 65816

uaecasher

5. macrumors G4

All of the monetary amounts published in this saga have been paltry sums. Remember that Psystar went bankrupt over an $87,000 legal bill. The company sounds like a garage operation to me.

6. macrumors 6502

LEStudios

You think? :rolleyes:

7. NAG
    macrumors 68030

NAG

And unless they were naive fools they knew they weren't going to make money from selling macs. So why were they doing this?

8. macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Myrtle Beach, Horry County (do not pronounce the "
    I don't know if it's been asked/answered, but I wonder how many OSX units Psystar managed to sell? What is their sales numbers/profit margin?

They may not have the $5k to fork over. What will the judge do then? Contempt?

9. macrumors 68040

bruinsrme

The ironic thing is that Apple has probably lost more to pirated apps in the apps store than they have to Psystar sales.

10. macrumors G5

jav6454

$5k is just the beginning.

11. macrumors regular

It is not the courts job to enforce a monetary judgment, nor do they really care if you collect on it. That said, Apple can go about enforcing the judgment in several ways such as placing liens against property Psystar may own. However, if Psystar goes chapter 7 because of this suit, Apple will probably never see the cash. That said, Apple could probably care less about collecting a mere $5k since it would cost them more than that just to find a method by which to collect it.

12. macrumors 601

jaw04005

When the case with Psystar first started I thought it could lead to a bigger battle over software EULAs and consumer rights. I do believe some of the limitations and stipulations used by companies like Apple and Microsoft in their EULAs are anti-consumer. For example, Apple's transfer rights. For software packages like Final Cut Studio, Apple stipulates that the software license can only be transferred (or resold) once. That's ridiculous. It's become acceptable in the software industry to ship draconian EULAs by default. I'm not sure software companies even give much thought to them anymore. The average customer would need to be a lawyer to fully understand all the legal jargon used in a modern day EULA.

However, Psystar's legal team has did nothing but make frivolous claims and charges against Apple (Schiller not prepared for deposition, Apple failed to copyright Mac OS X, Psystar CEO said they never kept financial records, etc.) since the legal battle began. They've practically made a mockery of the court system.

At this point, pissy star (as Molly Wood of CNET likes to call them) needs to go away. I hope Apple fights them into oblivion. I would also like to know who their financial backers are (Dell?).

13. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Psystar is just wasting time and should ashamed to call themselves a company for all the lying, cheating and trickery involved in their side of the case.

14. macrumors 6502a

:eek: Apple could buy a new Mac Pro and a ACD with that kind of money. They. Are. Loaded! :p

15. macrumors 68040

bruinsrme

No company should get away with lying, cheating, or trickery.
    With the exception of Banks, Mortgage companies, Tobacco companies and so on. Psystar should be held to higher standards. Opps forgot to list Palm

16. macrumors G4

This is how I saw it as well, when the news of the case first broke.

Now, it's looking like the case won't get into the language of the EULA, and set any guidelines as to what's truly legally acceptable or not. :rolleyes: :(

Nice! :D Got a good laugh out of this one. Thanks. :)

17. macrumors 6502a

What I find most bizarre is that this is not Psystar, per se, acting like ass-monkeys. It's their lawyers. So, apparently Psystar managed to find exactly the right team to accurately represent them. Of course, that could be because the CEO of Psystar and his head legal counsel did, and continue to, share a dorm room together and do beer bongs on a Saturday night. That would certainly explain a lot.

18. macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

This is mere change compared to what Apple wants...

19. macrumors G4

I seriously doubt money is Apple's goal. ;)

20. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple's goal is to make people say, "Psystar, who?" within six months. If they can get money while doing it, they're fine with that. They're sitting on a mountain of 31 billion, cash, so I agree; they couldn't care less.

21. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They don't know. Their CEO testified that there are no records.

22. macrumors G4

Not only Psystar, but prevent any other company from even attempting it (fear). Apple has the financial resources to run upstarts into the ground (can afford to persue them via the legal system, and pay for the most talented attorney's that specialize in Intellectual Property).

So long as the language in the EULA, isn't challenged directly and overturned on particular points, no upstart will have a chance.

23. macrumors 6502

you forgot Microsoft

24. macrumors regular

No wonder they have had finacial problems so easily, they are less organized than me. The probably sold 1000 computers but were too busy smoking up their mother's basement to even recall how to spell the word "finances".

25. macrumors member

Pegasus665

Good luck Psystar!