Courts-martial could cover civilians serving in war zones

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 16, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

washpost

2. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Hmmm...wouldn't that be ironic. Court-martialing the CEO of Halliburton for price gouging.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not that I'm against holding contractors & such responsible for their behavior, but why court-martial? That's for the military. Surely there must be some way to return civilians to the United States and prosecute them under normal criminal law.

As you can see, they are already having trouble interpreting whom this would apply to, though typically (for our government) they're trying to use the broadest brush possible.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wonder what that mechanism would be? Since bushco has gone all out in hiring mercenaries for this war, the boundaries have become pretty blurry between civilian and military.

The military has always been reluctant to prosecute and sentence its own so the mercenaries would probably be better off under military law than under civilian law. However, I can see this easily ratchet out of control in the future. Much better to bring them back home and face a jury.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Presumably the point is that "normal rules do not apply" in State-sanctioned warfare. Otherwise you'd have thousands of charges of manslaughter - if not murder - and the entire Administration and military top brass would end up in the dock. Which of course they bloody well should. Not only that, but every bomber pilot could be done for mass murder.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thing is...civilians in war zones being tried under military law?

Are we taking the first step onto the slippery slope of martial law in the U.S.?

I realize there's a big difference. But blur the lines between civilians and military, and you've just opened the door.