Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Who cares if it's fake or not. They can keep the eye candy. How about imroving sound quality. How about cd quality. Then they will really have something.

perhaps you should start ripping your CDs at a higher rate, and buy some better headphones.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
*begin sarcasm*

I've got it! Apple will allow us to have this NEW capability, but we have to download a firmware enabler for only $1.99!

Due to the fact that they've already recognized income from the iPod, they'll have to charge this fee to comply with SOX laws in the US.

*end sarcasm*

Why is it that the moment I typed "firmware update", I just knew someone would bring this up? I'm sure if Apple ever again plans on adding any unadvertised value to any products they've already sold via a firmware update, they won't be making that same mistake and will charge at least $20 for it, because they know that even if they charged 5/5.5G owners a single cent for getting cover flow on their ipods like the 6G's and iphones will then have as standard, most would prefer to spend $0.02 on forums moaning about it, so they may as well make some money out of the ingrates who don't think for a second of the 1-4G/photo owners who weren't given any choice but to buy a whole new ipod to get coverflow functionality, even though they were made no less promises by apple on the matter than the 5G owners were.

Personally, though, I think if ipods come with coverflow before itunes offers downsampling on the fly, apple will have made a stand upon style-over-content that might send me looking elsewhere for my music storage needs. And there is no way I'm settling for an 8GB phone unless I can squish my lossless files on there as AACs somehow.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
This looks like the classic video running on an iPod. Remember that episode of Family Guy, where peter pretends playing keyboard like a pro, but it's actually just the demo running on it? And that guy who says "he's a big fat phony?" this is pretty much the same.

Indeed, there would be the "menu bar" if it were real.
Can someone fake front row on an iPod? Makes no sense but sure would looks cool, right? Include the theatrical trailer just for the hell of it. ;)

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
looks awesome but i think it would slow down the ipod and besides...i dont have that many artwork pix for my albums because itunes is being weird

TheSailerMan

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2006
New York, New York
As fake as this seems (everyone else posted reasons already), the one thing that makes me still believe this may be real is that it goes directly from "Coverflow" to the Stadium Arcadium track listing.

I just tried a few things with my iPod, and I can't go from a video straight to a music playlist.:confused: So this leaves a few possibilities:

1. I missed something, and it is possible to go straight from a video to a music playlist.
2. There's a way to record clean footage of an iPod that I don't know about, and the iPod menu was part of the video on the iPod.
3. The creator(s) of the YouTube video put together the iPod menu part of the video from scratch (which probably wouldn't be too hard to do).
4. The whole thing is real.

moodipaper

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2004
Marquette, MI
Flip-book!

I think this looks like the trick where you turn a video into a series of jpegs and then load those jpegs to iPod. That way, you can scroll through the jpegs like a flip book. I'm not seeing what everyone else seems to be seeing with "timing issues", but I did notice something else: In iTunes, when you stop to reverse directions in coverflow, the album sort of "snaps" to the center of the screen. In this trick video, the covers never do that smooth glide and snap-to-center, rather, they move (IMO) in synch with the thumb movements. Nice trick video.

Sam0r

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
As fake as this seems (everyone else posted reasons already), the one thing that makes me still believe this may be real is that it goes directly from "Coverflow" to the Stadium Arcadium track listing.

I just tried a few things with my iPod, and I can't go from a video straight to a music playlist.:confused: So this leaves a few possibilities:

1. I missed something, and it is possible to go straight from a video to a music playlist.
2. There's a way to record clean footage of an iPod that I don't know about, and the iPod menu was part of the video on the iPod.
3. The creator(s) of the YouTube video put together the iPod menu part of the video from scratch (which probably wouldn't be too hard to do).
4. The whole thing is real.

IIRC The 5g iPod can play music video's. All you need to do is encode the video, and pass it off as a music video. It should come up in the album pane as a track, like it does in iTunes, so he/she could play the "music video" and press menu to go back to the album pane.

But, I agree, its fake. But I'd sure like it on my 'pod.

mattibek

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2007
Lexington, KY
I'm sure apple have tried to see if it works and may be close to a release if it does. I thought they would have an update right after 7.1 with coverflow feature for ipod. They seem so proud of coverflow that if it can happen it probably will. But yeah this is as fake as that google maps ipod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.