Covert X-rays tested as security tool

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Nov 27, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Great thats just what we all need, more x-ray radiation. Who do they think they are kidding?

3. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Tell me whats wrong with that? They aren't kidding me, because I know that X-Rays aren't going to kill me or harm me.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

AH ha ha LOL. Oh but they can. X-Rays are very energetic photons that can permanently damage DNA and other molecules in your body, leading to cancer. This damage is cumulative so the more you get in your life time, the more it will start to affect you. Think of it this way, gamma radiation is pretty close in it's energy to an xray.

5. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

next time you go to the doc or dentist, you can try declining the use of lead shielding over your gonads & thyroid. . .

I doubt they'd let you do that, b/c then you could sue for malpractice

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

and gamma rays made the hulk and look how he turned out. Mean and ugly.

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Have you ever considered why the staff in X-ray departments don't stay with you when you have you X-ray taken? It's not cus they don't what to be in the photo.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

LOL

9. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

The radiation to be used is low level, less than that used in a medical testing x-ray. They are going to need to set guidelines on this new technology. There are many uses such as cargo containers.

10. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

LOL, yeah thats great. The thing is that when you are dealing with this kind of radiation, guidelines aren't going to change physics. We need to speak of probability, it only takes a single x-ray photon to screw things up for the whole body. Now to get any kind of "picture" they will have to use many many many photons. And to top that off, the area where they want to be searching is a very strict "no x-ray" zone to start off with.

So what are the "guidelines", 1 out of 100 gets cancer? 1 out of 100000?? 1 out of 1 hundred million?? Those are crappy odds when you consider how many people fly every day. They should be looking at more passive ways to detect things. And I'd rather under go a cavity search than for TSA to start irradiating people by the millions every freaking day.

11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

You're right of course but I was being ironic.

12. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I know, the first part was to you, about laughing at your funny statement. Everything past the first sentence was just general discussion.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well, if it prevents me from having to take out my laptop, take off my belt, emptying my bag, taking off my shoes, emptying out my pockets then i am all for it.

jon