Cox Cable modem or SBC Yahoo DSL?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jaser, Jul 27, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

would like to finally go broadband and trying to decide between cable modem or dsl. anyone give me a pro/con comparison between the 2? also, to share an internet connection w/ 2 macs, will speed degrade using a router? thanks for your comments, other suggestions!

2. macrumors 68020

question fear

do a search around geek.com forums there was soemthing on there about a month ago about cox cable...essentially they had some major crackdown regarding how they handled people using in excess of a certain amt of bandwith...but there was some discussion of whether they could "see" your extra computer through the router...
    on the other hand, i know that with dsl if you have a two line jack you'll need a special filter. (A friend of mine had a problem tracking one down).
    sorry i can't be more helpful.
    --carly

3. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I can't give you a comparison, but I use SBC Yahoo DSL, and I couldn't be happier. I consistenly get around 950 kbps speed on cnet's bandwidth meter . We have the middle grade package, and it comes with 10 IP addresses, so I just have all my computers hooked up through a hub, not a router. I've had 4 computers (2 macs and 2 PC's) on at the same time, and they all stayed in the 950 kbps range, so it doesn't slow down. Overall, I've been very happy with my SBC Yahoo DSL service.

4. macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I also heard some bad reports from ppl who use Cox. I'd go with Yahoo, if it isn't too high (I don't use Broadband so I wouldn't know the prices).

5. macrumors 68040

Grimace

Don't worry too much about how many computers you are running on the line. If it's a cable modem or DSL, you will not be able to tell the difference between running one computer or five computers at the same time (unless you are downloading extremely large files on all of them 24/7).

A simple router/hub/bridge can allow you to use as many computers as you need with the line. You may want to look into a router with wireless capability - even if you don't have anything wireless right now. You never know when you might acquire a laptop, or want to get a wireless adaptor for your desktop or printer. It's only a few bucks more to ensure future expandability.

I have been extremely happy with this Linksys model:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=508

I run 3 hardwired computers and 5 wireless laptops off of it and there is no speed degredation. Getting a router, or an access point, or a switch, alone is stupid. This device has all built in, and will power up to 50 computers on the 802.11g standard (airport extreme speeds.) Best investment I ever made. Look around and you can find one for around $100.00

6. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Just look out for networking limits. Some cable companies are really strict and "no-no"about the whole concept of networking their service. When I had Adelphia in Florida, the service was cheap and fast but if you mentioned networking or if they saw a router while installing, they'd pick up and leave so fast you didn't know what just happened. I personally like cable, since it's typically faster and usually cheaper. DSL here is $70 a month for 256 kbps and cable is $45 a month for 10 mbps. Granted, you don't get the full 10 mbps, but I consistantly get well over 2-3 mbps using C|net's bandwidth meter, so that has to be good for something. I'd also check with the DSL modem with Yahoo, since I know many people who have had a hell of a time getting a Mac and airport to even realize there is a DSL modem connected because of the way PPPoE works. Either way, good luck, broadband is definitely the way to go.

7. macrumors 6502a

Rajj

It really depends on where you live.

I have Cox Cable and I consistency get 1.5~1.8Mbps , I also have a small network via airport!!

Now about yahoo, I heard in some areas it blows but in others it is ok, but it is still slower than cable because of POTS and the distance.

So here are the pros and cons.

Cox:
    Pros: Fast, reliable, and cheap
    Cons: Pathetic Tech Support (extremely long wait times) and some modems are not compatible
    Pros: Dedicated Bandwidth (supposedly) and Superb uptime
    Cons: Slower than cable, expensive, and you cannot live beyond 1,800 feet from the area transmission center.

Like some else said, check the forums in your area about the two services to get a better fell for it!!!

Have fun!!

P.S. About that router issue, they can see pass a router with the right equipment, but they usually don’t do anything about it, unless you are a Bandwidth hog (P2P Kazaa)
    Just don’t tell them you have multiple computers, because they will charge you!!

8. macrumors 604

iJon

well i have both so i can give you somewhat a fair comparison. we cox at work, and sbc at home. i constantly have a 1.2MBit connection at my house. buttttt, dsl is kind of a gamble. for the price i pay i get 150-200k download speeds and my friend across town gets 500k down and my other friend gets 14k down. me and the 14k guy pay the same each month. i upgraded my package earlier in the year to get the 500k down, but speeds never changed. cox cable is a little slower at work, but that is because they put bad wiring in our town and put the better faster wiring in the neighboring towns. but with cox if something goes wrong you can go get a new modem and their store place. tech support is a pain with sbc, they gave us the runaround for about an hour trying to get a new modem. my mom finally said cable modem is staring next month and if this doesnt get fixed soon she will cancel. only thing i can recommend is try to find some people in your neighborhood and check their speeds. its a tossup. its always dependent on the area.

iJon

9. macrumors 6502

this is very true, especially with DSL. I once tried to get DSL through verizon [at the time this was the only broadband option in my town] and i lived about 3 short blocks from a transmission station. i had already verified my phone number and had the DSL modem ordered when i got a little postcard size notice in the mail basically saying, "sorry, you cant get DSL because theres to many high bandwidth connections going past your house." i was pretty pissed. but fortunately i was able to get cable soon after [i still received the DSL modem and have it to this day:rolleyes:]. cable where i lived was much like DSL. speeds were capped [256, 768, 1.5 down respectively] but you always got that much bandwidth, even during peak times.

10. macrumors 6502a

cable

i am using warner cable and my readings or never lower then 1800-2000.
    this may change once more people get cable. when downloading files i routinely go above 256k to as much as 512k sometimes. but its expensive 44.95 + tax every month i have two xboxes and 3 macs on a router.

11. macrumors regular

I used SBC DSL in San Francisco for about 5 months and most of it was very problematic. I personally don't use SBC anymore and couldn't be happier. I wouldn't use them again, they sucked.

12. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I have SBC DSL... I don't mind it except they ban newsgroups they don't want you downloading from (alt.binaries)... and if you max out your uploads it cripples your downloads to about 3 kps... I miss cable for both of those reasons...

13. macrumors 6502a

thanks for the link i got 1255 on my cable

14. macrumors 65816

alset

I have both, right now (cheaper to run out my DSL contract than to cancel it) and recommend COX. Good customer service and relatively fast bband. Also, I disagree with the statement above about not noticing a difference in your speeds with multiple machines. With the DSL line, I notice a hit after only two machines are active.

PS - DSL uplink is awful.

Dan

15. macrumors 604

iJon

for many of these reasons, i may switch to cable modem next month. one thing i hate about my dsl if i have a bunch of downloads going, i can never submit a post on macrumors, or any site. i thought it was a problem with safari but it isnt. when i am at work with everyone on the net and some people downloading i can submit all the time without clicking back, then forward and resubmitting. im gonna wait till it gets in my area, and im gong to go to a friends house who gets it and see how there speeds are. also i have a question somebody may be able to answer. do you have to set your cable line up for cable, or when they turn on digital cable can i bring home my modem from work and plug it in and check it out.

iJon

16. macrumors regular

I got cox cable, I never had a problem with it, I think im getting a good deal.
    3 mb/s down for $50/mo

17. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't know about Cox, but I have had cable modem service with three different companies (Adelphia, Time Warner, and Mediacom) It's pretty easy, once you get service, you just plug in the modem and you're good to go. If the cable company uses a DOCSIS compliant system, you can go to the store and buy one off the shelf from just about anywhere (Radioshack, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc) I've never bought my own modem since I've always been supplied with one, but with Adelphia my modem burnt out 4 times and I kept having to get a new one sent to me, and each time I simply plugged it in and connected it to the router and was good to go.

18. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

If you live in the city, I'd suggest DSL. But if you live in town, I'd suggest CABLE. Cable has by far faster download speed than DSL. And Upload speed is also faster (usually).

DSL advantages are:
    -NO matter how many people use it around, your connection doesn't suffer.
    -At some points it may be more stable.

DSL disadvantages are:
    -You have to be within 2000 feet of substation. frather away you are, slower your connection is.
    -In most situations slower than Cable.
    -Requires to sign a contract. later becomes very expensive (after 1 year)
    -If your phone line is noisy, your DL speed will be about 25k/sec
    -Yahoo charges you tax for internet (i think).
    -Upload speed is way too slow (128k), cable allows atleast 256k.

Cable Advanatges:
    -Faster than DSL
    -Requires less maintnance
    -No contracts required
    -Price is actually less. (SBC jacks price up to 59 bucks after one year for "faster" dsl).

Cable disadvantages:
    -If place where you live is very crowded, your connection will suffer at peak usage hours.
    -Gamers sometime complain of more often drops (depending on location again.)

Overall, Cable is superior to DSL. My Cable for example gets actual download speed at over 300Kbs.
    My friends dsl who lives 1 mile away, is 130kbs from the same servers at the same time.

Try to find out how many people are using cable in your area, if not many, get that. I have COmcast, and it's an excellent service.
    Almost never get my connection dropped and dl speed is excellent.

19. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

One thing though. DO NOT get RCA modem if you go with cable.
    Tested it already. RCA drops connection much much more often.
    This motorolla i have right now stays plugged in for a week and never looses connection. My first RCA lost connection atleast once a day.

20. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Don't be naive man. Everyone gets around that bandwidth there.
    And that means exactly nothing. When I had 26k connection, i downloaded at speed of 3.8kbs. When later i started connection at 49kbs, my dl speed was 4.2kbs. Even though cnet would show you that your bandwith is higher. Shouldn't I dl at 2x faster?
    Try sellecting "dial up" as an option and select different area code, and your dsl will measure somewhere around 450.
    If you noticed they plug in yahoo and covad commercial after each test. I wonder why? HINT: that's why they ask your area code before testing. heh.
    And 128K upload is way too low. Thru ICQ, or any peer-peer you will be sending file at speed of 15k/s.

21. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the comments!

after reading your helpful posts and researching, i'm going to go the cable modem route. cox has a promo going now for half off($20) the first 3 months, then $39.95 there after w/ no contract and a money back guarantee. sounds like a good deal.

so now i'm trying to figure out which cable modem and router to purchase. been hearing alot of good things on the toshiba pcx 2200 cable modem($50) and the netgear mr814 cable router/switcher($29 after rebates). anyone know if these are good? or have any other suggestions? thanks again!

22. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Re: thanks for the comments!

I have motorola surfboard and like i said, the performance it gives out is excellent.
    Don't believe me? See what others have to say about this modem:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...91958-5100040?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I don't know if your provider uses that modem though. Whos is your provider?

As for router, I'd have to say Netgear or D-Link.
    For mac, I'd go with D-Link.

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=2

If you want G (faststest connection) get DI-624
    If you want B (10/100) getDI-614+
    At amazon or buy.com they are pretty cheap.

23. thread starter macrumors newbie

should i just stick to the modem cox is offering?

24. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

You mean from the service itself? I wouldn't it seems theyb charge you for the modem whatever they can get away with that day. On average, serveice sells modems for around 100 bucks and lets you rent it for 3-4 bucks a month. On amazon, you can get superior modem at the store and online for 25- 50% less.
    Just call your provider, and ask which modems they support.
    Company and model number [EX: MOTOROLA - SB5100 etc]. You can also find out in your nearest best buy or circuit city store.

25. macrumors G4

Cox Communications supports DOCSIS standard cable modems. It shouldn't matter which brand you buy.