CPSC attempting to ban Buckyballs.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GoCubsGo, Jul 26, 2012.

  1. macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #1
    This is weird and all over the news. I'm sure there are worse problems but frankly, I don't get why this even has to happen. They're a toy targeted at adults and I can see why the owner of Buckyballs is upset.


    Source & Full Article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...for-children/2012/07/25/gJQA1lDg9W_story.html
    Additional Story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...owed/2012/01/25/gIQA3EwgVQ_story.html?hpid=z3

    This just in, magnets pose a problem if swallowed. :rolleyes:
     
  2. macrumors G5

    yg17

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2004
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #2
    I ordered 2 sets of Buckyballs last night. I always wanted some and figured I better get them while I can.

    Just absolutely stupid. Looking around my desk here at work, there's all sorts of stuff I can swallow. Shall they ban these thumbtacks I have? I bet those would hurt more than buckyballs if swallowed.
     
  3. macrumors 68000

    Antares

    #3
    Ridiculous. I saw this, too, on the news. The packaging says it is for people age 13 and older. It is not a toy created for young children. If a parent gives something intended for adults/teenagers to a child, it’s their fault, not the product manufacturer. Let’s just go ahead and ban pretty much everything…because, you know, children may get ahold of something not intended for them and harm themselves.
     
  4. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #4
    Absolutely ridiculous. It's sad that someone's invention/business that they built and put thousands of hours into can be shattered by a single person('s parents) who make a stupid mistake that's entirely their fault.

    I almost choked on a ball bearing when I was about that age and it never crossed my or my parent's minds to much such a public spectacle of it. It was solely my fault because I put it in my mouth.
     
  5. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Location:
    Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
    #5
    Since they don't sell those where I came from, I thought that they wanted to ban the use of fullerene!!
     
  6. macrumors 68000

    doelcm82

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2012
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #6
    Think of the poor guy who invented Lawn Darts!
     
  7. macrumors 65816

    senseless

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #7
    While we're at it:

    Quote:
    "Zinc, a major component of post-1982 US cents, is toxic in large quantities. Swallowing such a coin, which is 97.5% zinc, can cause damage to the stomach lining because of the high solubility of the zinc ion in the acidic stomach.[31] Coins are the most commonly ingested foreign body in children but generally are allowed to pass spontaneously unless the patient is symptomatic.[32] Zinc toxicity, mostly in the form of the ingestion of US pennies minted after 1982, is commonly fatal in dogs where it causes a severe hemolytic anemia.[33] It is also highly toxic in pet parrots and can often be fatal.[34]"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(United_States_coin)
     
  8. macrumors 68040

    RedTomato

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    .. London ..
    #8
    I don't get it. If you swallow two buckyballs (or other powerful mini magnets) at the same time, then they'll just attach to each other and pass through you.
    Why all the drama to get them out? The article says that they may trap intestinal wall between them, causing major internal bleeding. I understand this might happen if several magnets were swallowed, several minutes apart, but if they were already joined when swallowed, then they aren't going to magically separate, travel off in different directions, find a loop of intestine, then rejoin across the internal intestine wall.
     
  9. macrumors 65816

    iMacFarlane

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2012
    Location:
    Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
    #9
    Yeah, no kidding! Buckminsterfullerenes (C-60 being the most common form) are a rare allotrope of the Carbon molecule, are actually not good for life as we know it, and are under study for the development of nanotubes and carbon fiber materials research.

    They call 'em Buck Balls for short.

    Can you ban molecular structures? Look out Neodymium-Hexaflouride! You're next!
     
  10. macrumors 6502

    brentmore

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #10
    Did the same thing this weekend with a 45% off coupon! Been wanting them for years.
     
  11. macrumors 68040

    RedTomato

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    .. London ..
    #11
    Yes, romantic evenings are a major cause of buckyball poisoning. You breathe in a good dose of buckyballs from the candle fumes. So next time your significant other suggests a candlelit dinner or a candlelit bath, turn them in for attempted poisoning. And check they haven't updated your will behind your back.
     
  12. macrumors 603

    blueroom

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #12
  13. macrumors G4

    Rodimus Prime

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2006
    #13
    well after the crap Buckyball pulled and threatening Zen maginets I could care less what happens to them.
     

Share This Page