Cpu intensive Sound FX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by quigleybc, Jan 25, 2006.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Hi

When I really tax my system's cpu and RAM, I'll lose my various sound FX, like when I move a folder to a new location, or to the trash, or emptying the trash.

The volume up and down sound doesn't stop though.

Just wondering what's up with that, and if there is a remedy other than a reboot or permissions.

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i have the exact same problem. i've seen some other threads about it too, i don't know if there's any real fix yet. i'm bummed.

3. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

I think we're the only ones with this issue...

I've been trying to narrow it down to a specific app that may be causing it.

I thought it was when I was running a Bit Torrent client, and a bunch of other apps, and my RAM would get really used up...causing the loss of FX. But now that I'm trying to reproduce the problem, everything is fine of course..

So, I don't know. When your FX dissapear, does your "volume up down FX" stay the same? mine do.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It has to do with the fact that there is no real built-in audio hardware--the CPU has to process things, due to Apple's agreement with Apple Corps.

The only real fix is to buy an outboard USB/FireWire/PCI Card processor and connect external speakers to it. (Yes, you shouldn't have to do it.)

M-Audio sells a full line of such products.

5. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

hmmmmm, interesting....

So am I right about my theory of the sound effects dissapearing when I use a lot of Ram/Cpu ?

6. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

yeah, my volume up/down sounds remain, just other sound fx disappear.

and man, i hafta buy something extra!? i think i'll just wait for a software update.