cpu running @ 100% non stop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by matthutch, Apr 30, 2005.

1. matthutch macrumors regular

since i upgraded to tiger (i got it last night at the launch) my cpu has been running at 100% pretty much non stop.

at first i thought it was an spotlight indexing everything - it finished and then it stopped for a little while, and then right back up to 100%.
    I then thought it may be an application I am running that is having issues, so i closed all applications and have left them closed for hours now - and still 100% cpu usage.

this machine is a 12" 867mhz Powerbook, with 640mg ram. Activity monitor shows plenty of ram that isnt being used, so it isn't a paging to disk sort of issue - I would imagine. The machine has been kept in a cool, room with airconditioning, and is well venilated (on a wood desk not carpet etc).

any thoughts?

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Open activity monitor in your utilities folder and click on the '% CPU' title just above your list of running processes. You should be able to find out which app is being bad that way.

Good luck

edit: you could also check out this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=123187

3. darkwing macrumors 65816

It's the mds and mdimport processes. It's scanning your system for metadata to use with spotlight. It will stop after a bit.

Regards,
    Steven

4. matthutch thread starter macrumors regular

it was showing that VshieldCheck was using 90% of the cpu, does anyone know what this is? i quit the process and now am running on something like 10% usage.

i might restart and see if it comes back on when after that.

it isnt the mdimport and the other md processes as they finished ages ago and are using practically no cpu time.

thanks any way though

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And your ears are not deceiving you!

matthunch, Virex isn't compatible with Tiger. Disable it, and remove it. Sounds like you did an "upgrade".

7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i did an upgrade, and got the same kind of problem. But i guessed that it had to do with spotlight, and its indexing of all the meta-tags, and info. my computer quit running at full boar about an hour afterwards.

8. matthutch thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i did do an upgrade, thanks for the tip though ill kill virex now :)

9. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

it's definitely "mdimport" for me. Been running nonstop all day. I guess I'll just let er run.....

sucks.

10. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Getting into the habit of using Activity Monitor, typing in 'top' in a Terminal window or using a third party CPU-use-in-menu-bar utility is something I have always found essential.

Plenty of programs have 'gone rouge' on me before and try to grab as much CPU as possible and I would hate not to notice them. I'm very picky and a bit of a control freak, I found it unacceptable when a Dashboard Widget I downloaded was using all free CPU for about 10 seconds, when dashboard wasn't even open. I will not be using that widget again.

11. NevadaJack macrumors 6502

What was the Widget...so we all don't load it.

12. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

REMOVE VIREX

spotlight should vinf a VIrex uninstall.... that is the problem - I know from personal experience....

13. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

MetOffice. Was hoping to find a better Weather Widget for the UK since the default Tiger one doesn't list anywhere nearer than 20 miles away.

14. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I had the Monkey TV schedule widget installed and it was pegging the CPU indefinitely. Using top, it was listed as Python grabbing all the cycles but disabling the tv widget killed it. It's a neat widget but there's obviously a major bug there, it just seems to be running some Python process in an endless loop.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah.. that's Spotlight indexing your harddrives..

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It rarely if ever happens in Panther 10.3.9 or in Tiger. It used to occur when Finder would take up 200% CPU cycles, but doesn't much anymore.