CPU Speed accelerator - Program... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Feb 28, 2005.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    I was surfing around and seen this

what do you all think? does it accually work by allocating unused cpu cycles and more cpu resourses to the forgrround application? and if so, what do you reccommend the % be at? I am unsure how to use this progam effectivilly. If i put the slider bar to 100% does this mean all my back ground apps will slow to a crawl? or will it get CPU resouurses when they are needed?

Anyone can help me out... i am intrested in this product for my iBook...
  2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Junk. Don't bother. This can have undesirable consequences when you are doing normal things like burning a CD (background) while you're using Safari (foreground). There are other "accelerators" around; it's all smoke and mirrors. Just my take on it.
  3. tersono macrumors 68000

Jan 18, 2005
    Don't bother

It's basically just a GUI for the unix 'renice' command which allows you to re-allocate CPU priority. Generally not a good idea - OS X handles this kinda thing pretty well by default and you should be aware that you can only increase an application's priority at the expense of something else.

If you must try something like this, however, DON'T TRY THIS ONE! There are several freeware alternatives around.

Instead, go look up AlphaOmega software on VersionTracker - you may find the reviews rather instructive - not to mention amusing. They're well-known for lousy programming and I would advise avoiding their applications like the plague.
  4. bmorris macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2007
    What are some good ones then? I have been trying to use with After Effects and haven't noticed a difference.