cpu speed?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Oct 28, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when will cpu speed not be a top issue?

the woz, at www.woz.org , believes that it will not be the major issue with home computers one day in the future

for my dad, software availiability was the main issue so he got a pc

to me, price has always been the number one issue, so i got a pc also and an ibook...but i would love a tibook:p

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When you can boot up and not need to go get a cup of coffee while you wait, or render 3D in realtime (for me). It will depend on the individual and their needs, but as long as the computer manufacturers keep making the machines faster, there will always be an issue with CPU speed. Something better is always on the way.

And I'm not just talking about the MHz myth here, but price might eventually become a bigger issue. When you can buy a cheap machine that does everything you want as fast as you're comfortable, then we'll see.

D

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I suspect that "everything you want" is a moving target and that speed will always be an important factor. The day after you can buy the cheap machine that does everything you want, someone will write a new program that exceeds the capacity of your machine to do something new and wonderful. If you decide you want it, this new feature leads you to want a faster machine, and the manufacturers will be only too glad to take your money.

The next computer I buy might cost a dollar and know how to recognize my friends' faces from a live video feed from a camera above my front door. But when they come out with a two-dollar computer that also interprets their facial expressions, I'll want that instead.

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

there will be a limit at some point...maybe thirty years from now when many of us will be dead and gone...or at least gray ;)

at one time cars were marketed on their top speed and the car's speed was a marketing issue until they reached a top speed which was both dangerous and illegal

imagine a car commercial today saying, "your ford ***** can go fifty miles per hour past the legal speed limit" or "you can outrun the cops in your town":p

i remember my first college computer classes when twenty years ago and at the rate the computer field was seeming to go, every person in america would have a computer in their home by the end of the 1980s

now it is 2002, and almost half the homes in the country, and some of those homes having ample income, still do not have even a single PC or mac in them

i have a PC repair business and people have been prediting the death of the field and the perfect non-crashing computer for a long time now

others have stated that computers will become so easy to use that no one will ever need instruction

this is not star trek yet, where you can just talk to a machine and get your perfect answer, in context of course, in just seconds:p