CPU Temperature in OS X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by shadowfax0, Aug 1, 2002.

1. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Is there any freeware/program that will allow me to see the temperature of my CPU in OS X?

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i don't know, that would be kinda cool though. i'll have a look on versiontracker.

3. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

I think Perfboard does that...its on version tracker i think.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

good news and bad news...

ok which do you want to hear first? well, i'll give you the good news. to all the people who have 'older' Macs, ThermoInDock will, or should work for you. here's a link: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=9999&db=mac
    i just searched for 'cpu temperature' on version tracker, unfortunately thats all it came up with.

now the bad news. ThermoInDock won't work with any new G4s because they don't have temperature probes in them. i tried it anyway on my rev C TiBook and it didn't work.

if anyone knows of a cpu temp monitor that will work with the new TiBooks, post a link will ya? i want one!!

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Dear Lord, you mean I can do something on my old G4 that new ones can't?! :eek: That's a first. ;)

Hmm... 32°C... damn Celcius! Oh wait, I guess that's Centigrade. At least they were kind enough to include the preference to measure in Fahrenheit. :) My processor ranges from about 82-92°F. Wonder if that's normal?

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The processor temp should be above the ambient temperature of the room/environment it is inside of. That is, unless you went and installed a liquid cooling system onto the processor... :eek: :D

Any utility that lists the processor temp as less then the room temp is giving a false reading and should be ignored. I have seen PowerBook G3 processors show up as being ~120°F before. I have also had older G4 systems come up as just a few degrees over room temp.

I did locate one utility that doesn't have a temperature reading, yet at least. The author of the application/utility promises to have the temp feature functional in a future release. Or as the read me put it... "CPU/Bus Clock, no temp support yet, OS X/OS 9 native."

Check out Overclocker's Helper via Versiontracker.com.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

it will be good when overclockers helper gets temp support. but that won't help if the new G4s don't even have a temperature probe.

is there any way to measure the temperature on the new G4s?

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

32°C seems perfectly normal to me. dont know what you guys think is so weird about that.

there has to be a temp prob of some sort on the chip since the fans come on when they sense the temp is too high.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

My fan never goes OFF... (PCI G4 here :rolleyes: ) Sure wish they had thought of that for the old G4's. And you're right, the temperature probe in newer machines make perfect sense. Otherwise how would they know when to turn on and off? Good thinking.

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

There was a temp. probe in the G4 Sawtooth. :p But a case fan is different then a cpu fan. :p

As for the probe on newer machines, how else would the two fans inside my TiBook (DVI) know when to come on or go off??? Answer me that one gray man... :p :D

11. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

You just need a little duct-tape and a bit of craftiness with this little gadget.
    :cool:;)

Attached Files: