Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2015
I am noticing weird behaviour with the CPU temperature reading from istats on my macbook 12 (1.3ghz). When unplugged the temp will read between 59 - 70 celsius with light use (although it feels very cool). The second you plug it in it immediately changes (drops to 34 celsius). To me this seems like the reading is inaccurate when running off the battery.

Anyone have any thoughts on this behaviour.

Thanks.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I am noticing weird behaviour with the CPU temperature reading from istats on my macbook 12 (1.3ghz). When unplugged the temp will read between 59 - 70 celsius with light use (although it feels very cool). The second you plug it in it immediately changes (drops to 34 celsius). To me this seems like the reading is inaccurate when running off the battery.

Thanks.

I had a 1.2 with iStat Menus installed and never saw that behavior. Not sure what to suggest other than maybe reinstalling.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland

Thanks.

I'm seeing the exact same behavior on my MacBook 12 (1.2 GHz) with iStat Menus. It's freshly installed, on OS X 10.10.5 Beta (14F19a). It can always be reproduced. So it's either a sensor reading issue when plugged in, or an iStat Menus bug.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Can`t say that I have observed the same on my 1.2, with Intel Power Gadget, no change between battery & mains supply, mid 30`s C now on the battery, checking Mail and some work in MS Excel mid 40`s C

Would be good to state the spec of the MacBook, monitoring software & version as it will help to narrow things down. Personally I don't run continuous system monitors as they only really serve to consume more CPU cycles and at times generate questions. I would say mid 30`s is a fair number for idle and it`s likely down to a variation in iStat SW.

On 10.10.4

Q-6

jelman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2015
I'm seeing the exact same behavior on my MacBook 12 (1.2 GHz) with iStat Menus. It's freshly installed, on OS X 10.10.5 Beta (14F19a). It can always be reproduced. So it's either a sensor reading issue when plugged in, or an iStat Menus bug.

If it is a sensor reading issue, should I be concerned that the computer is not monitoring internal temperature properly and may not throttle when over heating damaging internal components?

Thanks.

Queen6

macrumors G4
If it is a sensor reading issue, should I be concerned that the computer is not monitoring internal temperature properly and may not throttle when over heating damaging internal components?

Thanks.

More likely it`s the software, I would uninstall it and not worry about it. If there was a sensor issue you would know about it by now, as in the Notebook would heat up to the point of shutting down and be extremely hot to the touch.

Like I say uninstall, the data from many of these monitoring applications is mostly of little use, nor can you effect a change in many situations, and consume battery power, right now all it`s doing is making you worry about a problem that does not exist...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.