CPU temps in menu bar?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cattywampus_, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

I have just got a Macbook Black Core Duo. I have installed CoreDuoTemp (http://macbricol.free.fr/coreduotemp/) , and Fan Control (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137) .

CoreDuoTemp currently reports my CPU temp as 40oC, while Fan Control reads it as 48oC. Which one is right?

Can someone recommend me a program other then CoreDuoTemp that can sit nicely in my menu bar and just give me the temperature reading?

Thanks.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The difference in the two temps could be that one is actually reading the processor and one is reading the ambient temperature in the case. I'm guessing the ambient temp is the hotter of the two....and since it's the Fan Control software that's reporting the higher temp, it's likely the fans care more about the ambient than the temp inside the proc. So, all of that to say that they're probably both correct as they're reading different things.

As for another program that'll sit in your menu bar...I have no idea.

3. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

5. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok sorry. I like Temperature Monitor, but I've realised Its missing one thing that I really need - I need to see the CPU load aswell. So it needs to show the temperature, and CPU Load, just like CoreDuoTemp.

Any help would be great. Thanks

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Well, I don't have any other app recommendations, but what I do is run Temp. Monitor for the temperature readings and then run Activity Monitor with the Dock icon set to "Show CPU Usage".

It doesn't come up in the Menubar, but I kind of prefer it this way anyhow. Just an idea. :)

7. PkennethV macrumors 6502a