CR Interviews Jonathan Ive...scary

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by e-coli, Sep 22, 2003.

1. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    If anyone gets Creative Review, you undoubtedly saw the interview with Jonathan Ive. It was truly a strange event. A little too "Big Brother" for me over there at Apple.

During the interview, there is an Apple "guardian" present, who oversees the entire interview to make sure nothing negative or confidential is said. It was really really lame and awkward.

Here's a snippet:

Fair enough question, right? And certainly the sentiment of many, including myself. Get this, now the "guardian steps in, not allowing Jonathan Ive to answer the question.

It gets better (or worse)

Whoa. Very strange. I mean, get real, who is this interview with, Apple Legal, or Jonathan Ive?

I thought it was really a poor reflection on Apple's culture.
  2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Re: CR Interviews Jonathan Ive...scary

I think you are right, the guardian probably did more to hurt Apple's image more than Jonathan ever could have...
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    rumor police? or some such, trying to control what is in print. Such a shame that the person had to step in at all, especially with a comment like that and the fact that you only get a set amount of time.....but Apple's paranoia causes it to have the mystery and wonder, feeding the rumor mill and hyping the hype.

I just didn't realize they'd go to such lengths to control it.

Also can't imagine creative types taking this sort of thing all that nicely. I'd love to see what was said off the record or after the event....

4. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    The article goes on to say that after the recorder was turned off, Jonathan Ive became very amicable. He and the interviewer seemed to hit it off well.

Ive has nothing to do with the "look" of OS X, apparently.
  5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Kind of makes you wonder what they're trying so hard to hide...
  6. socbyset macrumors member

Sep 13, 2003
    agreed. Ive is a major figure in the design industry and can't appreciate being publicly babysat by some two-bit PR flack during an interview.

A lot of companies would love to hire Ive away, he could also set up a very lucrative private design firm.

Apple owes a lot to Ive and should treat him accordingly.