Crack on the apple logo.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by, Jun 29, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

May 26, 2008
    Does anyone have a crack on the leaf of the apple logo an their macbook? I have two, one on the the top of the leaf and one on the bottom and it goes all the way to the apple. It is annoying the crap out of me. Is there anyway apple will fix this? I think white macbooks are more likely to get this.
  2. macrumors member

Jun 23, 2008
    I also had a similar damage to my apple logo on my Macbook air, except the white plastic was not crack, but loose and barely attached to the notebook casing..I was surprise for such an expensive hardware, they only use tape to attach the apple logo to the aluminum casing. At first I thought about leaving it alone, since it was only cosmetic damage, but the more I thought about it, the more annoy I got...eventually I took it to the Apple store and had them check it over, within 20 mins, I walked out with a brand new Macbook air (I didn't have a receipt because the Macbook Air was purchased on eBay, but the Apple employee check the warranty and notice it was only about three weeks old, so he offer to exchange it). I would definitely take it to an Apple store or call them up, if the Macbook Air is less than two weeks (or in my case three) old, they should exchange it for free, if you had it longer than that, they will probably repair it.
  3. macrumors member

Jun 1, 2008
    Apple should almost definitely replace the MBA. They have excellent customer service, so bring it in. :)
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

May 26, 2008
    sorry i meant to post this in the macbook section, can someone move it?
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

May 26, 2008
    its actually on the plastic around the leaf, not the leaf itself.
  6. macrumors member

Jun 1, 2008
    Does your MB have AppleCare or any type of Apple warranty??
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502

May 26, 2008
    It is still under the original 1 year warranty.
  8. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Feb 4, 2007
    CANADA? eh?
  9. thread starter macrumors 6502

May 26, 2008
    here is a picture

Attached Files:

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

May 26, 2008
    sorry for the bad quality, it was taken on a crappy nokia phone.
  11. Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    I have a crack extending upwards from the leaf just like you. Did apple replace it?

Yet another problem with my Macbook.
  12. macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2008
    how hot is your macbook running? I'm wondering if the cracks are a result of heat or just build quality in general like the cracked palm rests.

In any case, I suggest taking it to the genius bar to get it looked at and more importantly documented. :)
  13. macrumors 65816

Mar 28, 2007
    Wilkinson Sword

A razor blade will cut it finer.
  14. Guest

Dec 15, 2006
    Montréal, Canada
  15. macrumors regular

Feb 1, 2008
    same thing on mine. apple said they would repair it.
  16. macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2008
    damn thats crazy, my old MacBook never had that happen to it
  17. macrumors 68030

Jul 5, 2008
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    ...glad you got it sorted...
  18. macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2009

Same thing happened to me, My school called up :apple:apple.:mad:
    Apple said ''It is caused by pressure'' WTF:confused:

I barley put any pressure on mine:confused:, and in my school they stack laptops up like a stack of 40-50 laptops (MacBooks) and none of the school laptops have cracks on them and there is like 800 MacBooks at my school :confused:
  19. macrumors 65816

Nov 2, 2008
    Maybe call AppleCare again or try taking your MB to an Apple store for the Geniuses to check it out? :confused: Good luck. :)
  20. macrumors 6502a

Oct 22, 2008
    New York
    Wow, that is completely crazy... You would never think that cracks like that would happen. The top/under casing is so much thicker than the casing at the palmrest where these cases are known for cracking at.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't fix that. They fix the palmrests out of warranty.