Crackdown Review IGN

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Feb 12, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/763/763635p1.html

An 8.0

And the "Another View" brief review from the end of the main review:

"Crackdown has the odd quality of being both incredibly addictive and a tad on the empty side of meaningful things to do. When I first started playing Crackdown, the RPG nut inside me was instantly awakened and I was off running around the city searching for agility orbs, taking down bosses, and doing everything in my power to get each of the skills to the highest level. You couldn't drag me away from the game. I had to max out my agent's skills.

It didn't take long before I had reached that goal. It was about then when I came to the realization that there isn't a whole lot to do in Crackdown once you're at the highest level for each skill unless you're absolutely obsessed with getting every achievement point possible. Why weren't any side quests that gave you a reward aside from leveling up skills incorporated into the city? For that matter, why wasn't a meaningful main quest provided? Not being more creative with the boss fights was a pretty big oversight. Creating your own fun in Crackdown can be a great way to waste some time, but it shouldn't be so necessary so quickly.

It's too bad there isn't more to do because the initial fun factor is pretty darn high, especially when you team up with a friend in the excellently implemented co-operative mode. Aside from a few issues with the control (particularly in shooting and aiming), the game runs and plays smoothly enough that you can easily get lost in exploring how much the engine allows you to do. And with the superhero powers, the engine does allow for quite a few awesome ways to exploit your surroundings. There's a great shell here and it is substantial enough to create a good number of quality gaming hours, even if most of them will be spent just trying to max out your character. Hopefully the promised downloadable content will help to flesh out the world a bit more. Even if it doesn't, Crackdown is still a very good game that provides a fresh look at the sandbox genre. "

After playing the demo then reading this, it looks likea rental for myself, even if the Halo 3 MP Beta comes with it...

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

My friend and I had a great time playing the demo together, but I could see this getting old really fast by myself. I can already completely agree with the reviewer, all we did was try to get all the orbs and increase our character when we played. The city is impressive, you can pretty much see from one side to the other, really makes it feel vast and open to anything you can think of. I will also probably only rent this game, I'm not willing to pay $60 for a Halo 3 demo :).

3. ericsthename macrumors regular

I think I'll be getting this game... It takes the best of what I liked in GTA and gets rid of the inane storyline that I didn't care for.

This looks like a game that could be fun to play for a couple hours straight, or even just 15 mins.

4. giganten macrumors 6502a

I like the graphic in this game very much.

But i think it can get old fast, I will maybe buy it but not for full-price.
    And i want split-screen so i can play whit my friends when they are here, i like that more than play over live.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

basically its the curse of all these free form games.

6. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I like how the numeric scores seemingly don't correspond with the text review (at least from this snippet). A "great shell" in which you quickly have to make your own fun doesn't sound like it should get an 8.0.

7. mkubal macrumors 6502a

The quoted text in the original post was from the "another take" section at the end of the main review. I'm pretty sure the score was based on the main review, which seemed to justify an 8.0.

8. shortyjj macrumors regular

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Eurogamer.net seemed to like it, and they're very reliable in my limited experience.

10. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Hmm.. I was thinking of getting this game, but now I'm undecided.

I do want to do some sandbox co-op with my friend through live though.

11. pcypert macrumors 6502

I'm getting it. We need more games that you can pick up and play around in on the 360. I love the epic story line, hard control games....but it's nice to have something you can just run around in and ramp and do stuff like that.

Paul

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

9/10 people will buy it because it has 'Halo 3 Multiplayer Beta' on the front, and they'd be lucky if even 0.5/10 got a code for it.

Personally I think the game looks, well, average... at best.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

exactly .. sooner or later when you finished the main story/main mission you are only coming back for short games

i'm still waiting for the equivalent of the "civilization like pull back in the game" effect with those sandbox games .. sooner or later a developer simply has to get it right

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Every single copy of the initial shipment will have a code. Once those are gone, then people are out of luck.

15. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. Going back to the main review, though, there still seems to be a disconnect between comments and score.

"Closing Comments

...Crackdown won't last that long, it's uneven, and the story and the music are weak sauce. Some things are great while others areas fall flat (even the bosses are predictable and easy after a while). But overall the thrill of jumping like a mutant kangaroo from rooftop to rooftop is unrivaled! ...You'll have a blast, even if for a short while."

Still smells like grade inflation to me.

16. ericsthename macrumors regular

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Can't agree more but H3 is the selling point so it will do well. I rather just wait for the H3 game to come out...I'll get the inside thoughts of the beta testing from you guys.

Bless

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well here's a dilema.

I just got a Halo3 beta acceptance (won in an xbox clan match) so I actually dont need the halo beta code for crackdown.

So I'm now unsure whether to buy crackdown now. :eek:

19. pcypert macrumors 6502

I'm liking it more and more the more I play. It's not uber original and the graphics aren't top of the line...but the game is fun. Have leveled up two times in my agility and it starts to make a difference...the more "super hero like" you get the more fun it is. Kind of reminds me of the old Tick cartoon...running from roof to roof landing and the ground cracks under you. The bosses have all been pretty easy...but I actually run into them accidently usually as I'm running around trying to get agility orbs :)

Paul

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Tell you what....you buy and give me the code...we all win:)

Bless

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No we dont, beause you would need crackdown to download the beta :(

22. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

you buy it, send me the game AND the beta and we all win (cept you...and riggz...) :D

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LMAO again. :p

24. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

is that a no? :( come on! im a starving student...