Crackdown Vs GTA

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, Mar 16, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Just curious about a couple things between this comparison. First off let me say that I've never really played a GTA game, and probably won't. The whole gang, modern day (non-sci-fi), PS crap graphics (personal taste here) doesn't appeal to me.

So should these games even be compared? They're both free roaming, but doesn't CD invite a whole other dimension (the climbing and powerups, etc..)? What makes GTA series better (from what I've read)? What's Crackdown missing?

I guess I'm about half way through CD and it's one of the most immersive and addicting games I've ever played in a long time.

I know CD has its flaws but what puts GTA on a higher level? Just wanted some thoughts from people who have played both. No petty fanboyism. :D

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

you're right, modern day sucks.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Crackdown, along with Saints Row seem like petrol station breaks before the destination. GTA just has a level of humour that doesn't seem as contrived as Saints Row, and personally I'm not keen on the future style of Crackdown (note my fave GTA so far is Vice City).

Because dialogue is very important in these games, and because GTA usually has great dialogue and no over the top super powers, just feels much more refined. Despite the previously buggy-as-hell engines.

4. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

The fact that CD is a blatant copy of GTA.........

Crap graphics.....olol
    [​IMG]
    GTA 1 (pc version) 1997

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

aye, thats what puts GTA over it's competitor's for me...the dialogue, the radio ads, the billboards, item and location names all awesome...soundtracks are aleasy good too.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But have you played crackdown or simpy pre-judging it on what you 'think' it plays like rather than actual experience ?

Remember Crackdown is by the same guy who came up with GTA.

But both should not be compared - but.... as Edge™ put it. CrackDown is where 'freeroaming' should have begun. It's all about the self exploration and free will to do anything and rewarded for doing so - than ANY gta game has done.

Crackdown is more 'fun' than GTA. You are not limited by do missions A, B, C, D, E, F before you can get to next area. It's far more 'free' that GTA has ever been.

7. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Crackdown is too "bouncy," if that makes sense. I don't like the over the top jumping and climbing. GTA is more "real."

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You drive around running people over. Constantly get killed and wakeup outside of an hospital feeling fine ? mmmm ok. Remind me not to visit your 'reality' ;) :D j/k

9. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

GTA is better because it has a fairly strong story, interesting characters, more involved and varied missions, flying vehicles, and more humor.

Crackdown is better because it has a far superior engine and graphics, more freedom of movement, more intense action, great boss encounters, it's more "pick up and play," and you can throw cars at people.

It depends on what you're looking for.

Saying that CD is a rip off of GTA is just ignorance.:rolleyes:

10. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I said copy, and it is - even more so than Lair being a "Rogue Squadron meets Panzer" ripoff.
    For every one intelligent post here there are about a dozen ignorant ones.........:rolleyes:

replicate or copy
    6 or half dozen

Lets not argue semantics

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For someone with a lot of games you're sure missing the formula for a game.

Do something, get a reward. Do something better, get a bigger reward.

I like the Castlevania style play of everything being open to the player, you just have to upgrade yourself with various skills to get to them places. Certainly enhances the feeling of freedom. There's just no feeling of "oo I can't wait to get to place X" in Crackdown.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Crackdown is stiff and boring compared to GTA. GTA is filled with bugs and what have you but story, elements are better.

Elements?.....driving, humor etc. I couldn't get into crackdown it was just to stiff for me sure its more open and doesn't make you go on missions to open stuff up but I rather the game that tries to set the atmosphere to make you want to do the missions(It makes me feel like I'm doing something)

We need a war room for games titles as well;)

Bless

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But that is there in Crackdown. Blisfully forget the missions and try and climb the highest most seemingly inaccessable building and you get a reward. The seemingly harder to get - the reward from collecting the orb is vastly greater to an easy to access one.

Discover more hidden ones and the reward is bigger. Crackdown is actually full of these mate and they are in really cleverly located locations.

Trying to find the hidden ones leaves you with such a massive exploration quest. I''ve spent most of my time in the game just hunting down the agility orbs. :)

GTA - I enjoy for about an hour messing about - but stories of drug gangs, shooting cops and beating up prostitutes never really captivates me as a story......

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh yea I know what you mean there, that's what I said about the Castlevania style upgrade-related expansion. I'm a fan of both methods.

GTA story? No thanks. It's just the dialogue and the chat radio stations that do it for me. Story as a whole seems sort of disposable. I'm actually more prone to just downloading a save file from Gamefaqs and just driving about.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

yep same here. and messing about with the cheat codes.

For next gen GTA - they really need deformable landscapes and more buildings to enter.

16. pcypert macrumors 6502

I love the ability to upgrade in missions and out in Crackdown. I love the buddy online co op play (you can get some sweet tricks and orbs playing as a team).

It doesn't have as many odd, varied courses as GTA (flying remote control helicopters?) but it's a great start for a series.

I wonder if Crackdown 2 will see us go against the agency? The ending to one left that door open.

Paul

17. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

spoiler? :p

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whoa. yea.

19. pcypert macrumors 6502

It's still pretty vague. You don't know what happens or how...the ending is actually pretty lame in all actuality. If you had the sound down you wouldn't ever hear anything. So if you are going to play and beat it and Shin...keep your sound up and don't turn it right off :)...but not a major ending by even the lightest standards...actually since it took me so little time to beat it I really thought there was a little twist and the game would continue...kind of bummed when I realized it was over and there were NO MORE bad guys on the streets.

Paul