Cracked 30 pin connector

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ponderous, Dec 1, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I just noticed that a small piece of the edge of my 30 pin connector on the bottom of my ipad2 is cracked. I have AppleCare and the device was purchased in Feb 2011. Can I take it in? What will they do to fix it?

Thanks for any help!

2. macrumors 6502

HengenJL

Apple will replace the iPad with the same model.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Hope they can either do that or swap out the connector. Apple over the phone said if they find it's accidental damage then I have to pay $200 beans! I only connect via the charging port and a docking cable to my Bose and I'm always careful. Hope they don't claim accidental damage. These are my babies. :eek:

4:30pm is my appointment. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks!

4. thread starter macrumors regular

So I went to the apple store and to my dismay the geniuses had a meeting and feel the small crack on my connector is accidental damage so I need to shell out $200. I think this is crap. The device is babied. I've never dropped it. I'm always careful plugging and unplugging as I recognize that as a potential point of failure. My contention is its not accidental but incidental normal wear and tear damage and I feel my apple care that i shelled out another $80 on top of the $700 for the iPad should cover. I'm not finished with this by a long shot but I learned the hard way today to never buy apple care again. Not even worth the paper it's printed on.

I'm not happy right now.

5. macrumors 603

rgarjr

sucks dude.. so what would be your next plan of attack?

6. macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Remember that the 'Applecare Protection Plan' doesn' actually cover anything on your device that isn't already covered by the factory 1-year warranty. It just adds another year.

Most factory warranties / extended warranties are worthless since they'll find any excuse to get out of covering it for free.
    Apple are known to be better than most companies re: this, but my opinion of this is slowly changing as they refused to service my in-warranty iPhone 4 for a malfunctioning headphone jack (crackling noises- tried three pairs of headphones, including one brand new pair of Apple in-ears and my car's stereo via the aux jack). No water damage or dents/cracks/chips but I still had to shell out the equivalent of US$200 to get it repaired.