Cracked 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Weerez935, Jan 29, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I dropped my phone and acquired a big crack on the front of the screen. It's only one crack and the screen color did not change so I believe I only need the "digitizer" which I found on eBay.

If anyone has done this would you suggest it, how difficult is the install?

2. macrumors 6502a

chambone

Well, it's not like the 3g/3gs where the lcd is attached to the digitizer/front with screws. On the 4s the lcd, digitizer and front glass is a one piece deal, so don't buy one of those separate glass/digitizer things. The install is quite the pain as well because the lcd assembly is about the last thing that one gets to when disassembling the phone. But nothing you can't handle if you worked on laptops and phones before.

Here's a good guide http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+4S+Display+Assembly/7277/1

Also be aware that an iphone 4 lcd assembly won't fit.

3. macrumors 65816

Might be cheaper (considering your time, tools, and cost for new screen) to just get an OOW replacement for $150...

4. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I think for the 4S the Apple fee is $199.
    OP you need the whole 4S screen if you attempt to repair it yourself. You cant just purchase just the glass seperate from the digitizer and lcd. Its all fused in one piece.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Damn. I might as well save up for the next one with early upgrade. That's a bummer

6. macrumors G5

jav6454

Sorry to hear that. Pics? Also, you can find the entire 4S display (glass, LCD, & digitizer) for less than $50 these days. Also, many repair shops do the repair for $70 to $85 (I got charged $75) with the original Foxconn made display.

7. macrumors 6502

I'd say just deal with it until your next upgrade. Unless you can fix it yourself for cheap, it's not worth it, since you'd probably update in like a few months

8. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Or sell it for a few hundred or so and put in the rest for an early upgrade.
    But the cheapest option would be to find an iphone repair place and have it fixed for around $70-100 or so.

9. macrumors G5

jav6454

Now, now, selling is an option when the next iPhone is very close, which is not the case here. Also, maybe OP is in the middle of his/her contract?

10. thread starter macrumors regular

I am in the middle of my contract but I have two plans. I am on one with my parents I also pay for my wives so adding a line isn't too bad.

Are there really iphone repair shops?
    In say chattanooga ?
    It's not 200$ bad it's just annoying.

11. macrumors G5

jav6454

Try looking for shops in malls. Usually these shops are set up as kiosks (or really small shops).

$200 is too much, like I said, I got charged $75 for my screen/LCD repair. (labor and tax already factored in)

12. thread starter macrumors regular

Will try on the way out of chattanooga. Thanks for the advice!

13. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yep, usually small shops that sell iphone cases at the mall will also do iphone repairs and screen replacements.
    Also look at your local craigslist. You will find people and shops that do that type of work.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

I found icracked.com and am going to try them out. They send someone to you to fix the phone, warranty their parts and are reasonable.
    They are charging me 100$ to replace my LCD, digitizer etc and they drive to me.

Ill update with how it goes.

15. macrumors 6502a

Don't go to Apple for the repair or replacement! They are expensive.
    Find a local shop or a kiosk in the mall. They will do it for $40-$60 now a days!

16. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

ive purchased both 4 and 4s screens from them. the kits come with the tools needed and are of great quality. takes about an hour to replace, while following directions on websites and videos. ive never used their repair service, but im sure they are good.

17. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Glad To hear that. They should be here tommorrow or Tuesday.

18. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

as far as im concerned, they are the best option for quality OEM screen replacements. i tell all my friends to order from them as well.