Cracked headphone jack on iPod - Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by the_wallcrawler, Apr 25, 2003.

1. the_wallcrawler macrumors regular

i just noticed that the headphone jack, more specifically the white inner circle of the jack, on my 10gb iPod is cracked. the ipod still works and sounds just fine. i still plan on taking it back to the apple store where i bought it and trying to exchange it. it is still under warranty.

anyone else have this problem? did they exchange it for a new one?

eric

2. swahilibill macrumors 6502

The headphone port is the biggest flaw in the iPod design. I have had this problem before also, and so has EVERY, and I mean EVERY iPod owner. Basically, the headphone jack is a piece of ****ing ****. It Is fragile, and I, out of all my years of listening to music, have never seen a headphone jack built the way it is. For god's sake, the jack on the remote itself is more durable than on the ****ing iPod. I see a crack on mine after only a month and a half use and if it does break, I am gonna raise some hell with these people...You should talk with them, and hopefully with the revision on monday, maybe they will fix this problem, so when, and i do mean when the headhpone jack does break on mine, I can get a new iPod that is not so fragile...

3. the_wallcrawler thread starter macrumors regular

so do you think they will exchange it?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

chill out swahilibill... i don't know that there's need for dripping hatred... anyway, this problem has been reported by people, same exact thing happening every time... it's a known issue. that's certainly not to say it happens to everyone, but EVERY product on the face of the earth has weaknesses.

Take it in, they should be happy to replace your iPod. And although some people have bad luck, chances are very good you won't see this happen again.

Personally i'm right now very happy with apple's service-- my remote died, 3 minutes on the web and there was one being rush shipped to my door, i didn't even have to send the old one in. very nice, imho. they didn't give me the whole "you did that" runaround that other companies do to try to get out of warranty...

pnw

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I've had my iPod for 4 months, and I use it everyday. My headphone jack is perfectly intact. So, not EVERYONE is having this problem.

But, I do agree that the jack should be made more durable. Perhaps they will replace the plastic with metal.

As for your refund/replacement question, I'm not sure. I don't think the problem is enough to merit a replacement. Apple will say that the crack was caused by you (as the user), and they probably won't replace it. My advice would be just live with it like it is. As long as it still works, it's fine.

6. the_wallcrawler thread starter macrumors regular

update:

i took it to the twelve oaks apple store here in michigan today and they are going to do an exchange. but get this.....no 10gb iPods in stock. the guy said they wont be able to order them until monday and then it will take a couple days to ship them. could i get the new iPod out of this? that would be nice, but im just glad that i am getting a new one period.

eric

7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Great news! Sounds like you'll be getting one of the new iPods.

I'm glad to hear that Apple will issue a replacement for this problem. I wasn't sure if they would, but it's good to know in case I ever have that problem with mine.

Let us know if you end up getting one of the new iPods!

8. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

It happened to me too. They exchanged it. I love it how people assume that when they have to exchange a product, and they see a few other people had the same problem, the whole world has the same problem.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

never really had that problem with my original iPod and its replacement (firewire broke after genius "played" with it)

sorry to hear about that maybe with a little luck you can get a new iPod if it ever comes out, in place of a 10gb replacement for your broken one :D

10. gopher macrumors 65816

Thank goodness I purchased my iPod at CompUSA. They exchanged it no fuss and no muss twice because I purchased their extended replacement plan. The third time it happened was when I got my 20 GB last September, and this time I was able to get Apple to exchange it. From then on, I've been using my iPod in my pocket until I finally got a nice Marware convertible case. I couldn't trust the belt clip of my earlier covers for the iPod, as both easily slid off. It was I suspect during one of those sliding offs that the headphone in the jack caused the jack to break.

11. the_wallcrawler thread starter macrumors regular

i got a call from the apple store today and my new ipod will be in tomorrow so it looks like it wont be one of the new ones....

but judging from the pictures of the new ipod on apple's site, this headphone jack problem shouldnt happen with the new pods.

what does everyone think?

12. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Its happened to all the ipods ive had in my family (my 3, my dads 2, and both of my sisters ones) so theres definetely some bad karma somewhere. Isnt it designed like that because it needs it for the remote?

13. the_wallcrawler thread starter macrumors regular

update:

ok.....the headphone jack broke...see above. heres whats happening.

i drove two hours to the apple store in which i purchased it to have them say, "yes its broken", but they didnt have any 10gb ipods in stock to give me so they had to order one. well i get the call on monday that they ordered it. i get a call on wednesday saying it is there. so again i drive the two hours only to get there and find that they ordered the wrong ipod. they got in a 10gb with the scrollwheel, mine is the touchpad. i thought that 10gb ones only came in touchpad.....?? and it was thicker than my ipod and had no firewire cover? the "genius" said that is how the replacements come. screw that! my replacement better be exactly like my ipod.

anyway. now they are saying that the 10gb ipods are backordered and have no idea when i might get a replacement.

I am pretty upset by this. first i have spent way too much time and gas money driving back and forth to not have a new ipod by now. also the workers at this store are pretty stupid to order the wrong thing. the applecare work authorization says 10gb touchwheel so im not exactly sure where things got messed up but no one would fess up at the store. at least if they would have told me from the beginning that they were backordered i wouldnt have driven there for nothing. and now ill have to drive back.....sometime.......no one knows when.

how long do i wait before i call and demand my money back or one of the new ipods or make them get a 10gb from another store???

14. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I have a cracked headphone jack on my iBook. Haven't exchanged it. It still basically works though the connection is definitely looser than before.

15. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

This is kind of a stupid question. Say you bought an iPod in January 2002 and your firewire port broke. How do they know that it is out of warranty? Does the warranty start when it leaves the factory? Don't flame me, I have never had to return anything major like an iPod before.

16. MarksEvilTwin macrumors regular

17. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i think it was built like that so the remote for it would work. that might be the reason for the new jack on the new ones just for the remote (i think).

18. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I don't have an iPod yet, but from what I understand, this problem doesn't affect the usability of the iPod. If so, this is a minor cosmetic flaw at worst, definitely not something worth getting a new iPod for. Most of the time, it will be covered by the plug anyway. There are a lot more important things to worry about.

19. gopher macrumors 65816

Each one of mine went monaural, and upon looking at my port I found it was broken, when I wasn't sure if it was broken before. Since then I've been extremely careful not to drop mine or let mine have the headphone get pushed around in the jack.

20. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

21. emoin macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, actually, and am curious to know the answer... about 10 years ago my father's walkman broke on extended warranty, and the store ended up giving him one of those new fangled "discman"s to make up for the fact that his was discontinued. It was the best day ever. :-D

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

dont count on it, they will give you a refurb, i highly doubt they will give you a new one, they rarely do.

iJon

23. the_wallcrawler thread starter macrumors regular

the one they tried giving me today was new (old new one, if you know what i mean).

i will not leave that store if they try giving me a refurb. im not trying to get one of the ipod v.2's i just want a new 10gb touchwheel. is that too much to ask? mine broke, is under warranty, so they better replace it.

so was there ever a 10gb with a scrollwheel? the ipod that they tried giving me today said 10gb on the back but was thicker than mine, did not have a firewire port cover and was a scroll wheel.

24. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I had the same problem. It made it so that my remote didn't work was well. i guess that's why the changed the remote on the new iPods. They did replace it after my battery died which was 1 day after warranty ran out. I get my new 30GB iPod tomorrow!