cracking?

Discussion in 'Games' started by murphskyhawk, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphskyhawk macrumors newbie

What's so wrong with cracking? It's not copying nor stealing. It's just a way to open up the application a different way. I'd love you guys to reply. The programmers made it possible for the app to be cracked or else....they'd have the problem fixed already... Makes sense to me... But what do I know.... I'm running on a mac given to me by a software company because I bought some software..... I've got no money... What money I do have I have to spend it on food and gas and bills and not games that will rot my brain away.... Seriously, who'd want to pay for that?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You're welcome to do what you want with your Mac but talking about cracking is usually not tolerated on this forum.

Sooner or later, this thread will be locked up tight and thrown over the falls into the Wasteland.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems like your brain has already rotted away... [​IMG]

Especially if you want to put pirated games on a company computer, which in most companies = your ass is fired.

Piss somebody off an they drop the dime on you at www.bsa.org/usa

Which leads to a complete business software audit, and thousands of dollars in fines (10-100 thousand of more) to the company you work for.

---

Here, it's not a welcome topic -- since it can put the site at risk.

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I don't think you understand what is involved with cracking. It's not easy to stop people doing it when they reverse engineer your code.
    Very little.

5. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

You sign the agreement when you install the software explaining how you can use it. If you don't agree, you can always return your copy of software. When you install a software, it already becomes a question "What's wrong with breaking contracts and agreements while remaining on beneficial end of the stick?"

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Many people would want to pay for that. Especially those who don't want games to rot their minds, but to relax and use games as a means of entertaining themselves.

There are rules applied to each piece of software you use. At the instant where you perform installation of this software into your hard drive, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions contained therein.

It's like you are asking me "Why copying a commercial music cd and distributing for free is illegal?".

I won't sit down and actually analyze what is right and what is wrong with cracking an application. Because in the end... it doesn't matter! We have laws, and disobeying them can really get us into trouble, that's all you need to know.

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Aren't there any gray areas? "Clear" areas? If I own a game and I download a No-CD "crack", what is the problem? I hate shuffling CD's myself. And remember, I own it all. No "warez" on my machine. None.

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

When you install the game you probably agree not to reverse engineer or try to get around copy protection.

Installing a no-cd crack is against the EULA, but I very much doubt a company would sue a paying user for something so small.

9. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

That's like saying robbing a bank is ok because the people who built the bank made it possible for you to break into it.

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

hahahah lol :D

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think he is just looking to stir up some trouble

12. applekid macrumors 68020

You didn't see his original thread. Check the Wasteland for a thread entitled "Lugaru." In a nutshell, he wanted to not register to play the full game of the shareware game Lugaru. You can consider a No-CD crack a gray area (even though I still suggest a disk image puts you on completely legal ground, but I'm not here to preach about that ;) ) if you want to, but cracking a shareware game to dodge paying for the shareware fee is definitely not justified by any means.

So, yeah, murphskyhawk, you're a twit. You're just asking to be flamed and lack any common sense whatsoever. You get no sympathy from me. Game developers work and get paid to make their games. We don't appreciate *******s like you who are too cheap to pay for a game. And I especially don't appreciate it when you're trying to steal from a game developer that I know a little better than most of us here. If you think games retard your brain so much, why are you still trying to play them? If you don't have the money for something you want, don't expect to purchase it. It's that simple.

13. trailblazer macrumors member

i tried making a disk image of my ut2k4 dvd, but it doesnt work :(
    my 11yr old brother likes to scratch cds.. games arent cheap in australia :(

14. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Do a search for disc image on this forum and you might find something.. There have been some threads about this before.

But hey, isn't it Australia that have these strange rules where it's actually not legal to make a disc image, or backup copy, for your own use?? Strange country, strange rules! Too bad America is following the same path. And now EU. I hope we'll never join EU!! :(

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

despite the scary language, most EULAs aren't actually written to be enforced...in fact, most of them are supersceded in many points by standing legal constraints of ownership and fair use. Most EULA agreements today require you "sign away" rights that cannot be signed away...The reason you don't see people being sued all the time by the entertainment industry for violating EULAs is because they don't really hold much sway in a court. Many companies make you "agree" to an EULA before you even open the product packaging (MS Windows, for example), thus making it impossible for you to read the EULA before you "agree" to it unless you go to another comptuer and get online and look up the eula.

MS would be laughed out of court for trying to enforce their "sticker" eula...and they don't even bother.

I own multiple games that I've found no-CD cracks for on the internet...no doubt a great number of people use these patches to steal software, but that isn't my concern or intent. If I am tired of switching out discs and risking ruining my 50 dollar game disc because some game company is infringing on my right to make a backup copy of a game, then I'll take my chances on them pursuing "legal action" against me. They take away (without providing a reasonable alternative) my legal right to make a personal backup, and well, i find a work-around for their copyright schema.

tit and tat.

oh, and stealing is bad. and wrong. badong.

16. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

We don't have fair use legislation per se, but if I recall correctly the copyright act allows you to make a personal copy for backup. The bad news is that some of our laws are being rewritten due to the free trade agreement with the US, which means we're going to have DMCA and all of that rubbish foistered on us.

17. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I use No-CD cracks on my games, it just a pain in the a** to keep changing disks for games like Baldurs Gate II , there a four of them, and the disks get scratched making them skip. I own the original disks so I don't see nothing wrong with using cracks on my own computers, plus when I am carrying my laptop around do I really want to lug a couple dozen play disks along with me where they might be lost or stolen?

18. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Cracking is against the law, wheather you like it or not. If it's not freeware or shareware, you must purchase the software. Stop trying with lupols like 'It's not copying or stealing'.

19. applekid macrumors 68020

Uh... guys, we're getting off topic. The OP was not questioning No-CD cracks. Hey, go ahead do what you want with No-CD cracks, but the original poster was talking about cracking a shareware game to dodge paying the license fee.

20. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I'll make this simple.

No CD crack when you bought the game = OK

Trying to crack a game when your cheap @$$ didn't pay for it = Not OK

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Got to be a troll... time to wasteland this crap.
    Posted this thread and never looked back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.