Crackling amplifier

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In utter theory (as this amp is as old as the hills), what causes an amplifier to constantly "crackle"?

Mine started playing up just a few days ago. Totally out of the blue too. I've tested it by wiring up 1 speaker and opening the thing and fiddling about but I can't see anything wrong.
    I can't have this amp die on me :(

2. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

What kind of amp is it?

Trans/Tube? My amp always has a constant hum. PSU innit. Worse when I crank up the treble though, for playing those picked punk bass lines! :rolleyes:

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Bad contacts on the interconnects
    Bad cable
    Dirty contacts in an attenuator or switch in the audio path.
    Bad solder joint on the inside of the audio-in
    Dying component inside

Troubleshooting should be self evident on most of these, change cables, unplug and replug connections, work some contact cleaner into connections, switches and controls (read the directions 1st)

Does it crackle if you unplug ALL inputs?
    Does it crackle more or less during or after switching switches or turning knobs?
    Does it crackle more or less when all other devices around it are turned off?

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

It's a constant crackle even when the volume is turned to 0. same on both speakers. no affect when add inputs. When I tested it I just had the power cable and 1 speaker plugged in.

What sort of amp? hmm. some retro 70's hifi amp. *pic attached

Attached Files:

• ampi.jpg
      ampi.jpg
      File size:
      214.1 KB
      Views:
  5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I had a mid-70's Onkyo that did the same thing. It was powerful as hell when it worked, but it crackled more than I could stand.

Good luck fixing it. I never could figure out what was wrong with mine, and this was after cleaning all the pots/switches/contacts (the ones I could find and/or get to, anyway). I chalked it up to experience and bought a new one ::shrug::

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Reckon it'd be a good idea to get this professionally seen to, or with it being so old and rare nobody would have a clue?

Tomorrow I'll clean the whole thing out. Suppose it's all I can do

OH! If its of any help, it always gets *extremely* poppy when the Phono input is selected. The popping and crap noises actually do get louder as the volume increases when I select that.

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

curious...same thing mine did. The tape inputs were ok most of the time, but the phono was reliably terrible

dunno about having it looked at. Electronics repair is a dying art. Might check the yellow pages, or maybe give a call to a local stereo shop

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, the Phono input is the input with the most gain... circumstantial evidence that the problem is upstream of the preamp... Still wouldn't hurt to get a can of contact cleaner spray that is specifically for potentiometers and switches, and having a go at everthing that the audio passes through - the source select switch becoming the primary target here, perhaps. That's a $10 investment, whereas it'll be a minimum $60 or more at the shop.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Alright, thanks guys. Off to buy some cleaning stuff now. In the mean time I'm using an Awia amp from around the same time, half as good and twice as big... urgh.

10. mpw Guest

What are you playing? Mine does this when I play my "Now That's What I Call Walking Through Dry Leaves Vol.32", it's not as good as the earlier volumes as there's a lot of filler but the 'Silver Birch' track is fantastic.

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Worked a treat! Totally opened her up, covered the whole thing in electronics cleaner, was soaked. Worked my way into the nooks and crannies with a little cloth/screwdriver. Though whilst in there I noticed one of the 4 fuses wasn't fully connected, stuck that back in place. Not sure exactly what fixed it. But I did remove 30 years of dust (pops never opened this thing).

Infact, it's making less standby buzzing too.

INFACT. Safari feels faster.

The volume knob is noticably stiffer too :D really!

Later that day-
    It's broke again. GRR! just the left speaker giving off an occasional hiss. Much better than before (constant) but still annoying. My guess is just do more of what I did before? *sigh*