crackling sound

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by omie, Nov 5, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2007
    does anyone get a crackling sound when they plug the headphones into the iphone?

also does anyone experience sound cutting out when plugging using 3.5 mm headphones?

note: i decided to plug my headset into the iphone base unit and it then it worked fine. i didn't hear any crackling and the sound didn't cut out.

any ideas?

2. macrumors regular

May 7, 2005
    I get crackling whenever I have the earbuds in and I switch in or out of phone mode, or when I begin or end a call. It's not horrible, but I expect better on a $400 phone.:(
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything that I need to do to switch between phone mode and ipod mode or does the iphone do it all for me when I put my headphones in?

4. macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2005
    Green Bay, WI
    Its not normal, send it in. There should be no crackling sound at all. The speakerphone is not best for audio, but the headphones should be clear and crisp like an iPod.
  5. macrumors member

Apr 28, 2005
    I have the crackling sound too, just noticed it today, but I'm going to have to wait until the iPhone is released here to get new headphones (with the mic part).