Craigslist sued for Housing Discrimination

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by theBB, Jun 30, 2006.

1. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Sorry, I guess the lawsuit started sometime in February, but I only heard about it yesterday. Craigslist is being sued for housing discrimination, because of roommate wanted ads that specify "female" or "Christian".

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1151399126165

The issue for most people is whether Craigslist is liable for what the users are posting, but for me it is something else. For a landlord, it should not matter who rents your place as long as he gets paid, so make it a crime for discrimination based on ethnicty, gender or religion for the landlords. However, "roommates" are different. It is perfectly understandable for a woman to prefer a female roommate. Forcing an openly gay person to live with a pious Christian who believes it to be a mortal sin would not serve anybody's interests. I know quite a few foreign students who end up boarding with people from the same country and I don't think that is morally repugnant. The federal law should distinguish between a landlord and somebody looking for somebody to share their living quarters if it does not already.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Craigslist has had a disclaimer on their housing section for awhile. I can understand the need to find people with similar interests who will get along, especially in the housemate type situation but sometimes I've seen them go a bit far. I don't know if house/roommates can be help liable to this law though, it may only be for the actual landlord who owns the place.

*shrug*

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i do not think this lawsuit will succeed. if it does, it will have a chilling effect on the internet.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There was some furor about a posting looking for a hot young female for an older male housemate too... Something about reduced rent in exchange for _____.

5. Timepass macrumors 65816

yeah I agree. A land lord should not be able to disigramated agaist race, sex or reliogen. Now landlords should be able to say if you dont attend this college we are not going to provide you a place to live. But Race, sex and relieogen dont factor in to it.

As for roommates I think they should have free rein in how they disgramated against people. Yes they can even go as far as race. I dont have an issue with that because I wouldnt want to live with some one who doesnt want to live with some one of my race. Yeah they may be an jerk about it but I think it is there choice.

And to handle people who are landlords/tennets (both) they should get free rein as well. It really easy to classify some one who has that power legelly all they have to do live there. There permate address doesnt have to match but they have to live there that its. Very simple very easy to do. I dont like how lawyers are going after that for easy money. Other wise I could be sued for the fact I picky who I want to be my room mate and I choose who I want it to be and those things yes have factors that under first admendment would be illegel but yeah it a roommate. I want my room mate to be someone I will enjoy living with and get along with. Not some random person. Best way to that is make sure morals line up and other factors.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Roommates should be able to say i want this one type of person living with me

Because i would not some crazy Klan member living with me, telling me how Jew/Black/Gays/Non-white people suck and that he and I are better because of our skin.

Just like i'd bet most gay people would not someone who yells at them for "sinning" for being gay.

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I wonder how this fits in with one's constitutional rights of free association. Aren't the rules different for lanlords vs. simple roomates?

I suppose next Yahoo will be sued for all their personal ads that specify one person wanting another of a specific gender.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes.

9. Timepass macrumors 65816

yeah there are rules for it but the rules need to be edited because right now I could not advises that I want a roommate who is *blank* because it consider disgrimation. Even though when they apply for it I just going to turn down any one who doesnt fit that list.

It a waste of both my time and the person who applings time. This is what needs to be edited.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment...

Why shouldn't an owner of a private piece of preoperty be able to decide who he does/does not want to rent from him, even if he didn't want gays, African Americans, Christians, etc."

I know it's illegal in most places, but why (aside form just being the right thing to discourage).