craigslist

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by derajfast, Mar 3, 2006.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

i am pretty close to selling my PC on craigs list (for about 700), but i was wondering if anyone has sold stuff on there before, and how the experience was, and if there is anything i should know.

thanks

2. bemylover macrumors regular

I did. Except that it was not a pc, but a fridge :D and I was the buyer, not seller :D

But the experience was good.

3. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

i love craigslist and use it all the time. Its just a free local classifieds, so you typically meet people in person to do the exchange.

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've bought and sold stuff from Craigslist a few times...no problems.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It is also a magent for scammers, so I would insist on face-to-face only and refuse all inquiries from out of area.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...CanadaRam has it spot on - it is indeed a great resourse for local sales but be *very* wary of anything not in your area.

I've bought and sold off Craigs locally with pretty good success, as with ebay though just be careful...oh yeah!

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've sold a couple of things through craigslist... it has a few advantages over eBay, namely (1) it's free, (2) there's never going to be shipping involved, since you're going to be dealing with people who are local to you, and (3) pretty much all dealings are in cash.

That said, just make sure you act safely: No meeting in dark alleys, that sort of thing. If you're selling anything of value, you will likely get mail from Nigerian/moronic scammers trying to get you to ship your item to wherever; make sure you report them if they contact you.

9. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is an email i got........does this seem sketchy to you?

Hello,
    Thanks for your quickly reply, am ready to purchase your {2.53GHZ P4 512MB Ram 180GB Hard Drive DVD 52X CD Burner AWESOME CASE}.
    And i want you to end the posting of the item from cragslist quickly, co's am ready to offer you $820 for the item immediatelly. So all i need is your full name and address,so that i could go ahead to make the payment online now. I will pay you via Bank Of America Online Secure Payment, which is an online payment,co's i will forward your full name and address to Bank Of America Online now. so all you needed to do is to get me your full name and address so that i could go on with the payment online now.........
    After i have made the payment online, Bank Of America Online Secure Payment will email you with the payment confirmation/approval, which will notify you that my payment have been made and approved and will let you know when your money will be deliver to your door step in cash......
    And not to worry about the shipment of the item, co's i will be handling that my self, co's i have an account with FedEx courier which i will like them to ship the item.I will like to view the picture of the item.

Your Reply Is Needed Urgently,
    Ashley Arnold.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's the kind of crap I was talking about. This is a scam mail. Report it using the system.

11. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

but i would rather ship it to the person because i have a friend who went to make a transaction and after the person gave him the money, he got mugged

and another of my friends when they went to meet the guy, he tried lowballing the price even when it was agreed upon earlier.

12. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

hello seller,
    i saw your item for sale which i have been trying to purchase for the past two weeks now. I will be willing to give you $480 because i'm desperate to have and please send me a reply if you are willing.

Second email from them

Since you have been offered $620, i can add some few dollars to it because my own computer has crached, i will give $700 if you don't mind and i won't want to go beyound that. The reason is that i need one ugently due to my work.

Charles Austin

is that one sketchy too?

and another.......

what i mean is that i wouldnt want to let go the item as i am
    seriously in need of it

On 3/2/06, wrote:
    What do you mean there is a problem with the item itself?
    On Mar 2, 2006, at 11:40 48PM, tokunbo jide wrote:

the price is not the problem but the item itself.i will make it $600

On 3/2/06, wrote:
    what do you mean? someone emailed me and said they will give me 580
    for the computer. if you can go higher than that, then you can have
    it. Im sorry if there is some sort of understanding, but I am ujst
    looking for the best price.
    On Mar 2, 2006, at 11:10 29PM, tokunbo jide wrote:

so what are u incinuating?

On 3/2/06, wrote:
    you are offering me higher then the person who offered 580?
    On Mar 2, 2006, at 9:30 47PM, tokunbo jide wrote:

ok i will buit money order is what i av for the payment.where and
    when
    can i send the payment?

On 3/2/06, wrote:
    i just got an offer of 580, but that is the highest the person
    can
    go.

is my # if you want to talk more
    On Mar 2, 2006, at 8:04 57PM, tokunbo jide wrote:

name and address including your phone number please

On 3/2/06, wrote:
    well i can arrange for pickup next friday/sat, or i can see
    if i
    can
    have it shipped out by monday.
    On Mar 2, 2006, at 7:53 21PM, tokunbo jide wrote:

i have for long been searching for this item so i wouldnt
    want to
    loose it.if that be the case i will add $50 to make
    $550.let me
    have
    the address where the moneyorder would be sent to including
    your
    name
    and phone number so we can alao talk on phone.
    consider this urgent.
    jd

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

nothing wrong with haggling ... it usually works.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You're kidding about negotiating with a scammer, right?

And as far as getting mugged goes, that's why you meet in a public place. When I sold my G4 Cube a couple of weeks ago, I met the buyer in a Starbucks... we were never alone together.

15. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Derajfast.

I'm sorry, but you are a bambi in the headlights. I advise you to cancel your sale and discontinue all conversation with potential buyers.

The examples you posted are full of scam signatures.

#1 no legitimate buyer says they need it urgently or 'seriously'... it undermines their own bargaining postition. The only purpose to pushing for an urgent sale is to get you to skip doing your own due diligence on the sale.

#2 the "Bank of America" or "Western Union" secure payment scam is well known - the scammer tries to convince you that there is a secure way you will get the money. When a prospective seller tries to dictate the means of payment and the means of transport, that is a warning sign, especially if they provide too many details about how you cannot be cheated. Sometimes they attempt to send you a phoney email transfer email to trick you into sending the goods; sometimes they are not after the goods at all but send you a phoney email that leads you to a phishing site where they will steal your ID and passwords.

#3 A buyer who rapidly increases their bid for an item, offers more than the asking price, and/or does not display curiosity as to the condition and configuration of the item, is to be treated with suspicion.

#4 A buyer who arranges their own freight is also arranging that you cannot trace who and where they are -- once the payment bounces.

#5 A buyer with a "whitebread" name who types in grammatically broken English is suspect - especially if their name is a combination of 'American' first names, or an improbable combination of names, reversal of first and last names, all CAPS last name, or if they use a middle initial or misuse a honorific like "Mr." or "Engineer" -- "Ashley Arnold" "Charles PETER" "Engineer Smith William" "Mr. John W. Smith"

I could go on -- but you are NOT ready to sell to an unknown buyer if you can't see what is wrong with your correspondents. If you are afraid of a face to face, then sell it to a used computer shop and settle for a wholesale price.

17. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I sold an iMac to a guy, it was broken, for 20 bucks. He picked up fast and was a very nice person. :)

18. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I posted my laptop yesterday on craigslist and within a few hours I had six scam emails that pretty much fit all the criteria that has already has been discussed here (I was just coming to MR to post about the humor in getting so many so quickly).

Just remember you are the one selling the item so you must be in control of the sale. If you aren't then you are just setting yourself up.

With that said... I've sold and given away lots of stuff on craigslist. I've also gotten a fair amount of free or cheap stuff on it as well without any problems. If I meet the person, I don't meet them alone or at night--has to be in a public place. If it can't be moved in a public place (like a couch) then that's when I bring the hubby and possibly other reinforcements along.

19. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I'd say for local sales it's great, but it is a magnet for scam. I once posted on there looking to BUY an 20" ACD (ended up getting it off MR) and I had 2 or 3 e-mails from people offering to buy it from me. Even though I had posted in the wanted section.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've never bought or sold anything via craigslist, but my GF has purchased a TV, a futon frame, a chair + ottoman, our dinning room set, a night stand, and mattress + box-springs (new from a small retailer) all from craigslist.

I would get up in the morning and she'd be on craigslist. I'd come home from work and she'd be on craigslist. I swear the first few months she was out in LA all she did was work and surf craigslist. That's it. But we did save a lot of money furnishing our apartment.

Lethal