Cram and Jam + 4G iPods??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by intrepkid21, Jul 18, 2004.

1. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

I see that Cram and Jam is going to apply significantly passed the announcement of the new ipods..do you think the promotion will only apply to 3G iPods? Or are the 4G iPods not even going to ship until the promotion ends?

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The only exclusions from the Cram and Jam special was the iPod Mini. Since the capacities are still 20 and 40 GB respectively, Cram and Jam should apply.

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i just got a 15GB throough this promo last week. the rebate says it's valid on "any iPod, excluding iPod Mini (...lists model numbers...)".

So I desparatly hope the stores get them in stock within the next week. THen I can return mine and get a new one! :)

4. CanuckGold_2002 macrumors newbie

I don't see how cram and jam can not apply to 4g ipods...The estimated ship time of the 4g ipods is 1-2 business days. Also, the new 20gig is cheaper than the old 20gig...HOWEVER, when you buy a powerbook at Apple's online site, you can add a 4g ipod on the first page, but when you get to the "cram and jam" ipod options, only the 3g ipods are listed...so...que sera sera...

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

As soon as my local Apple Store opens today (10am Central), I will be calling to find out two things:

1) Are the 4th Gen iPods in stock? If not, when?
    2) Does "Cram and Jam" apply to new iPods?

I will post the answers to those questions in a matter of hours.

6. CanuckGold_2002 macrumors newbie

OKAY!!! I just phoned my local Apple Store (Southpoint, NC) - and the 4g ipods WILL work with Cram and Jam!!

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Just contacted Mayfair Apple Store, they reported:

1) They will have them in stock on Wednesday/Thursday.
    2) As far as they have been informed, Cram and Jam applies (He said "We haven't recieved any information to the contrary, so I would assume it would")

8. Nutella macrumors member

Thought I'd try to dry my tears for a minute to post this long shot question:

I bought a 15gb ipod last week with the Cram and Jam. I took it out of the box and have been using it. What's the chance that Apple will let me replace it with the new 20gb that's the same price?

Yeah, I didn't think so. I'm gonna go back to crying now... :(

9. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but none... If your iPod is working perfectly, why should they take it back? And I dont think that 5 less gig will make such a big dif for you. Of course the new model is 'hipper' but the goal of the think is to listen to music, not having the latest gizo, isnt it? And to that, the 3rd gen is as good as the new one.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah..

Yeah, you would probably still be subject to a 10% restocking fee. I feel ya tho, I bought a 15 gig for my bro four days b4 they lowered the price (last september) and 8 days before I got a job that gave me apple discounts....D'OH.
    Just be happy with your iPod. The new ones are cool, but nothing so drastic that returning would be a given.

11. Nutella macrumors member

I knew it was a longshot!

I'm really happy with the one I have! The improved battery charge is the only thing I really covet.

Oh well, after you make a big tech purchase, it's inevitable they're gonna come out with something better the next day. I wish I could avoid reading these websites with the news of that stuff, but I've been learning so much about my new powerbook here that I just can't stay away! :D

12. colinp macrumors member

IMHO, eat the 10% re-stocking fee and get the 5 extra gigs and longer battery life. Paltry sum to pay for the improvements, but to each his/her own.

13. colinp macrumors member

Or how about this...

I'll give you my 3G 15 Gig (a bit scuffed up, but nothing some of that iClean cleaner couldn't handle, which I'll gladly pay for if you want to do this), you returnt yours for the 4G 20 Gig, I pay you the restock fee, and you send it to me. Result: we're both very happy! What do ya say? ;)

14. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

They *will* take it back. I purchased my iPod (Cram & Jam) last Thursday. I have already talked to reps at the local Apple store. I am going to pay the fee and get the new one when they are in stock this Wednesday or Thursday. 5 more GB and 4hr more Battery life? That's worth the $30.

They should take it back because it's part of their 14-day return policy. Under that policy, you have the right to return it under (almost) any conditions.

15. Nutella macrumors member

I just called the Apple Store and they said I can't exchange my ipod because I already cut out the box to send in the rebate form.

Geez, it's not like they're gonna sell a 15gb outdated ipod to anyone else!

Oh well...

16. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

no ... if you bust it up i doubt they wil take it back ...

17. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i bought a 15GB iPod to use the $200 off with cram and jam, it's unopened so i can still return it to get a newer one, however the cram and jam promo says both the ipod and the laptop must be bought at the same time so i don't know if i exchange the one i bought for a newer one if the 200 rebate will work

does anyone know anything about this? if not i'll call apple tonight

18. BeanTownBrawler macrumors member

19. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Yes, you need to talk to the on-site manager. I did this once already. I purchased my PowerBook and a printer on promotion (Buy a $99 HP printer, get $99 rebate) the *night* before Cram & Jam was announced. Later that week, I returned to the Apple Store. They did the following: They took back my printer, and entered into the computer that I had returned my PowerBook. (Note: I did not return my PowerBook) Since I had "returned" my whole purchase, I had a lot of cash coming my way. They put it all on a Gift Card, and instantly applied that card towards the purchase of the *exact* same Laptop, but then they sold me my iPod. So, therefore, both the iPod and the PowerBook were on the same reciept.

I intend to do the same thing again, except this time, my iPod is opened.

20. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

That's what I meant by "almost" ;)

21. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Cram and Jam Promotion

22. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Refreshed Notebooks in the Fall?

Now that we know that the promotion will work with 4G iPods, do any of you think the end date is at all relevant? I mean, do you think we can expect a hardware update just after the Cram & Jam deal ends?

The MacRumors Buyer's Guide puts the average update at 171 days. That will be in 81 days, or early October. What do you think? Does the end of Cram & Jam signal a possible notebook update?

Squire