Cram & Jam/ Student Union, EUROPE???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atik, Jul 26, 2005.

1. atik macrumors member

OK. I'm all set up to order the new 12 inch iBook. But.

Finnish Apple Store's Student Discount section is still in 'Coming Soon' status (has been for a month or so, since the link appeared). They no more give any student discounts over phone orders - i was told by a salesperson in the phone - as they used to before this link appeared on the online store. Crap.

She had no idea when this student section will open (She talked about something about research (?) and sounded like i wasn't the first asking). Neither had she no idea if and when the Student Union promo and the free iPod Mini would ever be available in Europe (there was a rumor about this like 2 weeks ago, that some salesperson had revealed that it would start the 2nd of August). She DID say, that Cram & Jam has been available every fall before, right before the school starts. Is this true? I thought that the student discounts didn't exist at all in Europe's Apple Store, but then again this new section appeared, student discounts were available over the phone.

Any experiences? I can't remember anyone mentioning anything about C & J in Europe, seems to me that every thread about C & J's has had a couple of bitter Europeans complaining about the student promos being available for US only.

This sucks, I had just decided that I want a Shuffle, not a 20 GB iPod.

2. nat3503 macrumors newbie

I e-mailed Apple about the Cram and Jam this morning, because I saw the thread the other week about the Cram and Jam Europe and e-mailed the address in the thread. (I live in England). I want a new iBook but I'm going to America next Monday (the day before it starts!) so was wondering whether I could order it now and still get the free ipod mini.

Here's the reply (got it within an hour) - I'd recommend you do the same to confirm that they'll do the same in your country. Their e-mail address is web_editor@euro.apple.com.

Hi Natalie

The promotion will start in the UK on August 2nd. It will continue until October 8th. It will be slightly different from the US one but similar. In the UK, the offer will be: "Buy a qualifying new Mac together with an iPod mini and get £100 cash back via mail-in rebate". Meaning that you have to buy both products with your own money within the specified time frame, and then you can claim £100 back from from Apple afterwards.

The thing is, to qualify you have to be a student, attending a college or uni in the UK to qualify; so strictly speaking you would not qualify until you start your course in September.

About going to the US: another problem :( ...you have to be a student enrolled at a US college / university AND have a US bank account to qualify for the US offer.

So, all in all, probably best to wait until September.

Hope that helps

Ed.

3. alexeismertin macrumors regular

alexeismertin

They never check anyway, so they won't know whther you are a student or not, I have ordered EVERY mac on student discount to make the prices more palatable. I don't give a stuff, take it whilst you can!!

4. atik thread starter macrumors member

Ok, the rumor I was talking about probably was similar to this email you got. But now that it says 'available in the UK', I doubt it'll be available in Finland. Somehow this rebate-thing would sound really odd in Finland, I haven't heard of anything like it before. And it's not just about the free mini, i'd save some tens of euros, only if the student discount section would work. But i think i'll wait until August 2nd, if they had planned a opening of other Educational Stores and this would be like opening promo.

Think I'll check on a Finnish mac community forum (any users of hopeinenomena.net reading this, PM me for any info u have).

5. atik thread starter macrumors member

It's not that I ain't a student. I am. Right now it just isn't possible to get Student Discount from Apple, if you're living in Finland.

6. nat3503 macrumors newbie

I've been able to get a student discount in stores by showing my university acceptance letter, even though technically I haven't got a firm place until my exam results on August 18th. But they don't seem to care, and like you said, I doubt that if I ordered it online they'd check anyway.

The person I e-mailed was the European web editor, so I'd e-mail them to find out about a Finnish discount, as I'm sure they'd know.

7. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Cram and Jam starts August 2 in Europe I believe.

8. gijze macrumors newbie

no cram and jam in belgium :(

just mailed apple... no student union in belgium... damn...

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I don't understand how the UK offer is really different than the US offer?
    In the US we have to buy both the Mac and the iPod then we send in for $179 back. Other than the currency, I think its the same.

Also about cashing in on the US offer. It says on the form Apple will only ship to US addresses. So if you have a in the US who you trust with a check...

10. nat3503 macrumors newbie

Well as I'm going to America tomorrow to visit my cousins, I was originally going to buy the iBook out there and save myself loads of money. But I was a bit worried about the warranty, and with the iPod promotion and student discount I wouldn't be saving myself that much money anymore... so I'm going to buy loads of accessories and software in the U.S. and buy the iBook in England.

11. fieldsofanfield macrumors newbie

Well I emailed Apple about this last week and was told that they currently had no plans to bring this promotion to the UK, but may in the future. So I went ahead and ordered my new iBook. If they suddenly start it on August 2nd I'll be on the phone demanding a free iPod mini!

12. cmx macrumors newbie

damn indeed

13. nat3503 macrumors newbie

That's weird because the European web editor e-mailed me saying that the promotion will start on Tuesday. It better, because I'm not getting my iBook for another month because of it - I'm going to America on Monday so have to wait until I get back! :(
    Hopefully they'll also do that printer promotion that they're doing at the moment, because I'm getting a printer and already have an iPod mini