crap! liquid in macbook!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bill4588, Jan 25, 2007.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

this morning a freak accident caused me to spill a TINY amount of fruit juice on the left sid of my keyboard. It went beneath the Shift, caps, tab, and esc buttons. I immediately used my shirt to absorb the liquid and then found a paper towel to try to get under the keys. After that I tried to use my computer to see if it was ok, but my computer stopped responding (i.e. the touchpad wouldnt work, mouse didnt respond, it essentially froze). So I quickly turned it off by holding the power button and unplugged everything. It hasn't been turned on since 10am. Do you think it will be ok if I just leave it off until tomorrow morning to dry? Am I able to take the keys off and try to dry it better? If so, how do I do it? *sigh*:(

2. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Chances are, if you have already tried using it, it's already too late. If the computer was on when the spill occurred, or you turned it on too close to the time that the spill occurred, the damage is done.

3. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I've spilt all sorts in my powerbook, give it a whirl! Don't bother taking the keys off, i did it with my space bar and its a bit dodgy now. If the keyboard doesn't work, see if you can get one off ebay or one of the parts sites. or take it into apple.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I read the title of this thread and thought you had spilt 'crap liquid' on your MacBook.

:D

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

With the new macbooks to replace one key you have to replace the WHOLE keyboard!

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

how/why is that!?

7. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Huh?

8. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

well i think the damage is already done...i tried turning it on and it didnt do anything. I guess ill have to go to an apple store after class....:(

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

For future reference, if you ever spill anything in your computer (or any other electronic device), turn it off IMMEDIATELY, and dry it thoroughly before turning it on again.

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Apple will probably charge you for it. As spills aren't covered by warranty.:(

11. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

12. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

No.