Crappy Fullscreen Video Quality?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pdpfilms, Oct 14, 2006.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Howdy-
    Watching the new Office episode, loving it. But I just switched to fullscreen, and the video became noticeably craptastic. It seems like the mids were cranked up and the blacks were tinited blue. Everything's somewhat grainy, but it's video noise, not resolution problems. The video looks great when it's windowed... full mids, proper tint, no grain...

What's the deal? Has anyone encountered this? I'm on a rev D powerbook, never had any display issues before. It's fully calibrated, no issues there. Oh, and this happens with all my videos in iTunes, but not with the same videos in Quicktime.

:confused:

2. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

I've had exactly the same problem with an episode of Heroes, the blacks became a lot brighter, I'm not sure what happened, but it was only when it was in widescreen. Very strange, no idea what could be causing it.

3. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

Not entirely sure why that would happen except the obvious:

1) Theses videos are heavily compressed, so full-screen viewing, although possible, is not intended.

2) iTunes itself, although capable of playing videos, is not by nature a video player. Try openining the videos directly in Quicktime and see if you have the same issue.

4. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

These videos are definitely meant for full screen quality, the videos are 640x480 and have excellent compression. When viewed in Quicktime the videos look fine. It is simply a bug in iTunes 7 that when any video is played in full screen the midtones are raised and there is a blue tint to the video. Somewhat distracting I must say.

5. iAdamMpls macrumors newbie

Same Problem

Also having the same problem with iTunes displaying full screen content properly. No fixes found