crash different??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xwk88, Aug 19, 2005.

1. xwk88 macrumors regular

this is a funny video but I don't know if much of it is true because it never happend to me, why do you guys take a look at this and have a laugh your self.

do you guys any about PC. those should be even better

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Repost.

And not for the first time...

And it's not funny because it wasn't even true under OS9 and earlier...

So this is just plain stupid...

Shall I continue...?

3. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

I'd never seen it before. And it is funny. It's good satire. It's not exactly true, although there are nuggets of truth. It exaggerates for effect. No matter what your OS, you've crashed and wanted to kick the crap out of your box. And everyone has pet peeves with their OS. This guy is just wrapping that in a switch campaign satire wrapper. Turn down your "DEFEND THE MAC OS" shields a little. It's funny, at least to me. And I still love my mac.

Trust me, when the longhorn ads come out, we'll have our turn with spoofs. And that will be funny too.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've no problem with satire. I actually love good satire, but this isn't good satire because there isn't a large enough grain of truth in there...

Also. Making fun of Mac OS 8 (or there about) isn't much more funny than Mac people making (inaccurate) jokes about Windows 95.

Again: It's just plain stupid.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i think he means its not funny because its old... this has been around for some time... and satire is better when there are hints of truth. i've crashed macs three times in my life.

6. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

Again: I think it's funny. As an attack on Macs, its not all that funny. As a story of a users experience and frustration with computers, it's hilarious. At least to me.

We'll agree to disagree. I'm cool with that.

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'll remember this post the next time i'm staring at that lovely beachball, or when the icon in the dock bounces up and down and nothing happens or when finder goes nuts because i disconnected a network share while i was transferring files.

I know it doesn't happen much, especially compared to windows, but Apple's do have their own little problems. Thankfully though they are only little :)

8. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Oh don't get me started on beach-balls (especially those cased by shady flash animations because of a half-ass flash plug-in that OS X for some reason gives 100% CPU and makes Safari freeze), Finder hang-ups when connection to external or network disks are lost (why can't the OS just let go?), permissions in need of repairs (or rather Mac OS X that lets installations mess with those in the first place) and corrupted preference files (it's a text-file for fudge sakes, why don't Apple include a plist checker, preferably systemwide that applications may use to check it's preference file(s) upon start up, and not just hang/freeze or crash).

My point is that there's enough to make fun of, even with the current OS, not to mention OS 7-9 (I started using OS 7.1), many of the bomb-messages were hysterical (which I guess the title of this video actually refers to). But most of the "observations" of the "user" in this video is just plain wrong and has very little to do with the computing experience of pre-OS X Macs.

It's not a big issue, though, and my main point was that this was a repost, and not even a new one. Even when one of todays moderators posted this back in 2003 people commented that this was old, and even back then the quality was debated. Thread.

(The moderator, in question, also found it funny, though, so you're not alone ;) but I still think it's a very poorly executed skit, with bad points and weak punch-lines.)

10. scarlco macrumors member

scarlco

Six months ago, I would have found this to be one of the most hilarious things I'd ever seen. Sacred blue apple... lost files... hahahaha.

...But then, I tried a Mac. Much like some other half-witted people I know, I was so sure i'd hate it, I never even tried it (well, not exactly true. I had to take a course on MacPascal in high school on an SE).

So, although i still find it humorous, I now see how stupid it is. Which almost makes it funnier.

11. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I agree with this. It finds its humour via the fact that whether one uses a Windows or a Mac, there will be frustration w/it either way. Overall, though, I don't find it funny...except when he kicks the Mac like a football...hehe.

I still think the best mockery of the switch campaign is John's Switch to Canada...it's a classic, especially if you love Canada much more than the states. :)

12. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

Hadn't seen this either. snicker :D

13. Einrel Koral macrumors newbie

According to the site I found this on (Happy Nowhere, the makers of the video), it is a 100% true account of things that happened during one week of extremely heavy use of Macs. One of the issues (I think the one about the system locking up) was with Mac OS 9, but the rest were with OS X. Hunter Cressal, the guy in the video, also says that he loves Macs, has used them all his life, and will continue to use them for the forseeable future. They just couldn't pass up the opportunity to spoof the Switch ads while also venting some frustration at what happened during that week.

The page about this spoof can be found right here.

For the record, I find it hilarious.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, Chappelle's switch ad isn't bad, either... :D

15. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

Thaat's is not funny. And it'ssss old. Besides, Mac keys gettt stuuck, so its nott factual! Masturbation iis sacred, anyway.

:D

Actually, that's always been my favorite of the switch spoofs. That and the original Feiss ad, which almost seemed like Apple making fun of its own campaign.