crash on booting OS9 froom OSX

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by peter_reeves, Dec 29, 2003.

1. peter_reeves macrumors newbie

I have a Powerbook titanium and OSX 2.8 (i think) and OS 9.2. restarted in OS 9 several times today for a program that wont open in Classic mode. On last attempt the restart failed after quitting programs and the color wheel kept on turning. So tried force start (control command start). I got a mini logo shaped like a camera outline with alterning ? and the happy mac logo inside it. I had a CD in at the time and it sounded like it was trying to boot from that.

So start with mouse down and the CD was ejected. put in a G4 power macintosh installation CD 9dated 1999 and started with c held down and get the same unwanted alternating logo. (cnt fine the powerbook CD)

tried holding down d on start up to force from hard disc but same outcome.

tried connecting to an Emac on 10.2 with firewire and starting with t held down to boot from that drive. I got a big fire wire symbol that moved about the screen but no image of my hard disc on the emac desktop - i got this idea from another macrumours thread that i got from a web search.

So the machine recognises mouse down and t down but seems not to boot from anything. Is possible that the CD was for an older G4 Powerbook as I had one stolen and relaced and not sure which CD it was.

Any one out there know whats happening

2. kanker macrumors 6502

You'll need to get your software restore CD's out and reinstall 9.2 from there. Installin from a regular 9 version won't work.

3. peter_reeves thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you - hope i can find the cd.

but i forgot to say that i tried starting wih x held down to force OS X and that gave the same alternating message so I think is not just OS 9.2 that is a problem.

peter

4. kanker macrumors 6502

I had the exact same problem a year ago. Something in OS9 went corrupt, and when I tried to boot into 9, the machine froze in the exact manner you described. Nothing worked, no boot method that Apple support could give me- nothing, and I didn't realize at the time that I had to reinstall 9 from the soft. rest. CD, so I ended up reinstalling X and figured I was done with 9. I found an Apple support document that said the only way you could put 9 on an X volume was from a restore cd, got out my cd, restored, and it's worked fine ever since (although I've only booted into 9 a couple of times since to run a sample dump program for one of my synths).

Edit- Part of the reason for the soft rest route is the only 9.2.2 is compatible with X, IIRC, and 9.2.2 is only available on soft rest cd's.

5. peter_reeves thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you again - that worked.

Booted from the orig CD fine but didnt see the OS 9 and software option until after I had re installed OS10.2, and I think it was not visble as the boot led straight onto OS X install. This threw out all my personal files and preferences etc into "previous systems". So a bit of sorting out but mostly done. Still have to
    upgrade to 10.2.8.

If it happens again will try Disk Warrier to see if it can find and correct the fault.

6. kanker macrumors 6502

I just remember how nice it was to see my desktop come up....:D :cool: :D Glad you got yours back up.

Kevin