Crashed Panther Classic. Reinstall?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DavidCar, Jan 30, 2006.

1. DavidCar macrumors 6502a

I ran a program on Panther Classic. The program stalled, and now Classic will not restart. The progress bar goes most of the way across on restart, then stalls permanently. I only have three Panther installation disks, and I can do the reinstall process up to the point where it says I have a newer version installed, then I cannot proceed.

So how can I reinstall Classic?

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

In System Preferences, there's an option to start Classic with "Extensions Off." That's basically a less-functional version of OS 9, and may not run the app you need--but it's useful for testing.

As for starting fresh if you need to: Assuming you have an installer that will install OS 9 (usually it's on the main install disc that came with your Mac), I would think you could just throw away "System Folder" from your hard disk. That's where OS 9/Classic is. (OS X is in just "System".)

(Once OS 9 is installed, the extra files needed to make it Classic are simply added automatically the first time you run an OS 9 app.)

3. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. After I switched Extensions Off, I could run what I wanted. Then I found a 9.0 system disk, and the Apple OS 9 updates webpage, so I can see how to proceed from here.

Thanks,
    DC