crashed while installing (optimizing) 10.3.5 update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mherz, Aug 11, 2004.

1. mherz macrumors member

Yesterday I tried to update to 10.3.5 but the system crashed after downloading the data and while in the optimizing phase. Now I fear that the system might be instable or not working properly. It does start up normally, but I havent tested everything, and my gut feeling says that it seems slower than before. How can I reinstall the update? The update does not show up anymore in "software update".
    Thanx for any advice.

I am using a brand new Powerbook 12"
    which came with 10.3.4, 512 MB

2. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

you could try repairing permissions and then maybe try downloading the update from the apple support download site. What does it say in your about this mac window? 10.3.4 or 10.3.5?

3. mherz thread starter macrumors member

it says 10.3.5.
    But I know that it never completed the optimizing phase, it had just started with it.
    how

"you could try repairing permissions and then maybe try downloading the update from the apple support download site."

How do I repair permissions?

4. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Go to applications-->utilities-->disk utility--> Open disk utility and select the "volume" (read disk) you wish to repair permissions on. Click "repair disk permissions" Depending on the size of your volume and the number of files/folders you have it may take a little bit. Mine usually takes about 5 min.

5. mherz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I will do that. But (sorry for asking) what does "repair permissions" do? Does it allow me to reinstall the update?

6. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

you should repair permissions every so often to kee your computer running smoothly, you should also do it after you install something like an os update or an app such as photoshop etc. "permissions" are basically part of the system, when you run an update or install an application, the installer expects files to be at a certain place and directories to have a certain owner. What repair permissions does is check that the "permissions" are correct and that there aren't any possible conflicts or problems with your computer.
    why does it happen?
    it happens because we use 3rd party apps that might do things differently when installing or running and produce an error or two.

So you are "cleaning your computer" it can not only make things run smoother but also a little faster. If you think things are a little slow then try repairing permissions. There are a few other things you can do too. but don't worry about that for now.

7. mherz thread starter macrumors member

8. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

9. Doraemon macrumors 6502

I have had the same problem with my iBook G4. But thus far, everything seems to be normal.

Perhaps it's not a big deal when it crashes while optimizing.