Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
hi im using a macbook with only 512 mb of ram. i know that that is not enough. before i had a post asking why my computer messes up after 24 hours of being on. they recommended me not to use limewire and install another program called acqlite. that program lets my computer stay on for about 3 days. so now... i do not run any programs like that but it still seems to mess up after a couple days of being on. should i just shut down my computer everynight to avoid this happening? thanx

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Not enough RAM makes a computer slow, but it won't make it crash. It is not enough not to stop running bad programs, the damage is done. If you can, reinstall the the system.

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
say i do reinstall the whole system.. how do i backup my whole harddrive to put into the new system?

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
jnguyen4 said:
say i do reinstall the whole system.. how do i backup my whole harddrive to put into the new system?

Well, you'll either have to burn stuff to discs or get a portable Hard Drive. An iPod might work, depending on the size.

But you can also do an "Archive and Install." this saves all your old files in a folder AND reinstalls the system. I would try that first.

2-3 days is definately NOT normal. My record is 40 days, 22 hours, and 27 minutes. So you should definately be able to run longer without a reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.