Crashing Jaguar

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by vincentmeanie, Sep 6, 2002.

1. vincentmeanie macrumors newbie

Since upgrading to 10.2 I have experienced around 4 system crashes when before I had never experienced such windows like behavior with 10.1.

I am using a upgrade install on a 600mhz ibook, with 640mb of ram.

All crashes are waking from sleep related, except for one when the screen just locked and I got a big error screen in 12 languages that informed me I would need to reboot the computer.

the usual thing that happens is when I open my ibook it either can't respond or works for a while and freezes up usually while calculating batter life.

any hints beyond the obivous, reinstall from scratch.. i am waiting for a good way to back up my data first, like a new powerbook

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Upgrades often have bugs, unfortunately. I don't recomend ever upgrading an OS, just backing up all your pictures/music/documents onto CD and doing a clean install.

3. vincentmeanie thread starter macrumors newbie

any hints beyond the obivous, reinstall from scratch.. i am waiting for a good way to back up my data first, like a new powerbook

4. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Well, you could look in the console logs

applications -> utilities -> console

file menu
    open log

Also the apple system profiler gives you access to some of the logs. They can be very helpful in determining why things aren't working. I found a bug in AFS that was giving me similar errors. When you put it to sleep, or wake it up, are you doing anything with USB? Whenever I plug in my mouse, if my Tibook is asleep, it will wake up. I have had some freaky experiences, enough that i make sure that the computer is not asleep when touching USB devices.