Crashing when right-clicking on images...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robx2, Jan 4, 2007.

1. robx2 macrumors member

Hey-

Running 10.3.9 on a 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4. Having an unusual problem that when I right-click (or control-click) on images (jpeg, tiff, etc) and select "open with..." I get the spinning beach ball. No problems with any other types of files, even large movie files. Things freeze up whether I right-click in the finder or inside a program like Mail.

Tried zapping PRAM, repairing permissions, etc., but still the same problem.

Any suggestions?... other than don't right-click on images?

Thanks.

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I'm curious if you have a bad entry in your LaunchServices database.

You may consider trying to use the hint located here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486

This is typically used to fix an issue with duplicate entries in the "Open with..." menu item, but it may resolve your problem as well. I'm not on my Macintosh right now, so I don't know if the given command works exactly as given for Panther, but you should be able to pinpoint where lsregister is by using which lsregister or locate lsregister. I am going to suggest that you read some of the user comments (located in the link) before attempting the fix to know some of the gotchas of running this command. :)