Cray to build world's most powerful Super Computer.

Discussion in 'Community' started by peter2002, Oct 21, 2002.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

SUPERCOMPUTER FIRM Cray is developing an Opteron-powered supercomputer for Sandia National Laboratories, German site Heise reported the Wall Street Journal as saying. The reports say the computer would rival NEC’s Earth Simulator (about 35 teraflops) as the as the world’s most powerful computer, with a performance rating of around 100 teraflops.

The 90 million-dollar project, code-named Red Storm, will be unveiled at a press conference in Albuquerque later today, according to the reports.

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=technologynews&StoryID=1609683
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

Seems like the IBM 970 would have been a better choice to build such a super computer since the current ASCI White is based on the IBM Power3 which is like the Motorola G3.

Peter

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I can't wait for the day when my Apple PowerBook does 100 TerraFlops.....

That might be a while though ;)

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he...no...it would be a chafing dish! :p

ok...bad joke...sorry... ;)

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I added a 1 MB level 3 cache to my pismo and it runs like 1 teraflops now! May be those dudes should add some L3 cache to their 7 teraflops computer too.

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

sounds big. that thing should be an awesome games server. :D