Craziest import game for Nintendo DS! [Hint: Japanese cheerleaders]

Discussion in 'Games' started by Flowbee, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

If you've never imported a Japanese game before, now is the time. I came across a review of Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! a few weeks ago on iPodLounge's 'Backstage' column and immediately knew I had to have it.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is a rhythm/action game about cheerleaders. Male cheerleaders. Very serious male cheerleaders in black overcoats. When someone in town is in trouble, they call on the cheersquad to, well, cheer for them and inspire them to overcome whatever obstacles are in their way. You help a student study for an exam; a racehorse foil a burglar; a handsome ghost make contact with his girlfriend; a businessman defeat a giant blue rat; etc. You play by tapping the touchscreen on the DS in rhythm to the J-pop/rock soundtrack based on the visual cues you're given. As you tap correctly, the cheersquad cheers, and the story unfolds manga-style on the upper screen. It's one of the craziest games I've ever played... very challenging and addictive.

I ordered my copy from YesAsia for $43 with free shipping. The game was delivered in about a week. And though it's all in Japanese (which I don't speak or read at all), it's very easy to follow due to the comic book style. There's a good translation guide at GameFaqs.com to help get through the menus.

It's almost impossible to describe how much fun this game is in words, but here are some links to other reviews:

Gamespot
    EuroGamer
    Geek On Stun

Is anyone else playing this game? What other imports are worth buying (for non-japanese speakers)?

Attached Files:

2. astupiddream macrumors newbie

yeah, it's made by the people behind gitaroo-man, therefore, I must own it.

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Although I have nothing of any value to share in this thread, I want to post simply so that there will be proof for future generations that yes, I did indeed hear of this -- and no, I did not immediately **** my pants.

4. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It's a shame that a game like this has almost no chance of being released in the US.

5. shidoshi macrumors regular

Picked this up when I was in Japan recently, and it is probably my favorite DS game. Really great game, and if you love music games like Parappa, Guitaroo Man, or stuff like that, you'll love this as well.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

aw :( add this to the non-US/Europe releases along with Jump Superstars. *cries*

7. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Make it female cheerleaders and they'd sell it world-wide. :D

8. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Jump Superstars is next on my list of games to import.

9. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Actually, you can unlock female cheerleaders once you clear the levels in "normal" and "difficult" mode.

10. shidoshi macrumors regular

Are you sure? I was under the impression that you didn't get them until after you beat the third difficulty - the main chief of the male squad (the guy who runs you through the tutorial.) I haven't gotten that far, though, because difficult is still treating me pretty bad. *heh*

11. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

You're right, there are three difficulties before the Cheergirls. You start with a choice between "Easy" and "Normal." However, you don't have to clear the "Easy" mode... you can just skip it and start with "Normal." Once you clear the "Normal" level you unlock "Difficult" which features the Captain from the tutorial. After you clear "Difficult" you unlock "Insanely Difficult" which feature the Cheergirls. At least that's my understanding from everything I've read.

I just cleared the Normal mode this morning. The last level took me over 2 hours total, and the first level of "Difficult" is already kicking my butt (and I've been a drummer for 20 years).